Facebook

Post by Disciple of Christ »

What do Mennonites think of Facebook?
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Facebook

Post by Soloist »

Liberal end either objects to it over some logic of information control, environmental thoughts or uses it like anyone else.

Conservative end generally objects to it because its social media. Allowance seems to be made for the marketplace/business use but more conservative won’t allow even that. Mid range is all over the place.

We got rid of our Facebook during my time in the military for a number of reasons like time wasting, privacy and not actually having any real friends there.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Seems to be something only older people use now. Younger folks are on Snap, TikTok, and Instagram.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

My wife & I have an account. We use it to keep in communications with family across the globe.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

I see a a fair amount of conservative Mennonites on Facebook.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:39 am My wife & I have an account. We use it to keep in communications with family across the globe.
A lot of people say this. I guess people don’t have email, phones, envelopes, and postage anymore?
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

Josh wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:36 am Seems to be something only older people use now. Younger folks are on Snap, TikTok, and Instagram.
I manage a business page and here's our reach by age group. Our strongest age cohort is 45-54. Also, it's clear the ladies are more interested in grocery stores than men.

0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

mike wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:40 am I see a a fair amount of conservative Mennonites on Facebook.
Conservative is a wide range.
Pilgrim doesn’t allow it except for marketplace. Our western fellowship church didn’t allow it, Nationwide doesn’t allow it. I'd expect less conservative to be flexible on Facebook.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
mike

Post by mike »

Josh wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:43 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:39 am My wife & I have an account. We use it to keep in communications with family across the globe.
A lot of people say this. I guess people don’t have email, phones, envelopes, and postage anymore?
I write a friend in prison in Pennsylvania frequently. Snail mail costs $.66 plus the cost of the envelope, and the time to write or type and put in mailbox. It takes days to reach the mail processing facility in Florida, which photocopies the mail piece in black and white and sends the photocopy to the inmate, a process which takes a number of additional days.

PA has an inmate messaging system, similar to email, which costs $25 per message. They get the message as soon as they check their account at the jail kiosk, with a slight delay for the institution to approve the message. Often they get it the same day.

Guess which I like to do?
1 x
mike

Post by mike »

Soloist wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:47 am
mike wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:40 am I see a a fair amount of conservative Mennonites on Facebook.
Conservative is a wide range.
Pilgrim doesn’t allow it except for marketplace. Our western fellowship church didn’t allow it, Nationwide doesn’t allow it. I'd expect less conservative to be flexible on Facebook.
I don't know affiliations of all the ones I see, but I would guess Hope, Mid-Atlantic, Keystone, Independent, and many other similar.
0 x