Poll: Insular Social Cultures

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

Choose all that apply...

1. My personal social culture is fairly insular.
16%
2. My church(s) has a fairly insular social culture.
16%
3. I've personally tried to have a less insular social culture than that of my family or relatives.
12%
4. I've personally tried to have a less insular social culture than that of many in my church.
8%
5. Every person should be encouraged to broaden their social circle. Every person should be looking to make friends with people who are not very much like themselves.
16%
6. Every Christian should be encouraged to broaden their social circle. This is not something that should be limited to evangelists and missionaries and church planters.
20%
7. Even those in remote tribes should be encouraged to broaden their social circle. If they are not able to do so physically, they should at least try to learn about other cultures if they can.
12%

Total votes: 25

Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Poll: Insular Social Cultures

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:13 pm
Ken wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:10 pm
cooper wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:07 pm For most of human history, people lived in insular social cultures. It certainly is not automatically a bad thing.
On the other hand, the Roman and Babylonian empires were among the most diverse societies in history, rivaled only by the modern US. Rome at the time of Christ was an absolute polyglot society of different cultures and languages mixing Black Africans from provinces like Mauritania with blonde Germanic tribes from the northern provinces and middle eastern tribes from Egypt, Syria, and Judea.
I'm not sure I'd hold up either Rome nor Babylon as an example of a society Christians should aspire to.
The first 500 years of Christianity including all of the early church was part of the Roman Empire. The government persecuted Christians during the first few centuries. But Christianity itself drew from the diverse polyglot of cultures that was the Roman Empire. Paul traveled widely and evangelized to a wide cross section of cultures and regions. He didn't stay in Jerusalem. Christianity was spreading across what was probably the most diverse culture history up until that point in time in history. And perhaps the most diverse culture until modern America.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Poll: Insular Social Cultures

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:20 pm
Josh wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:13 pm
Ken wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:10 pm

On the other hand, the Roman and Babylonian empires were among the most diverse societies in history, rivaled only by the modern US. Rome at the time of Christ was an absolute polyglot society of different cultures and languages mixing Black Africans from provinces like Mauritania with blonde Germanic tribes from the northern provinces and middle eastern tribes from Egypt, Syria, and Judea.
I'm not sure I'd hold up either Rome nor Babylon as an example of a society Christians should aspire to.
The first 500 years of Christianity including all of the early church was part of the Roman Empire. The government persecuted Christians during the first few centuries. But Christianity itself drew from the diverse polyglot of cultures that was the Roman Empire. Paul traveled widely and evangelized to a wide cross section of cultures and regions. He didn't stay in Jerusalem. Christianity was spreading across what was probably the most diverse culture history up until that point in time in history. And perhaps the most diverse culture until modern America.
I'll repeat myself:

The Roman Empire and Babylon are both examples of how society should not be. Babylon is literally used as a type in scripture of a satanic city.
1 x