Moving Cross Country (roughly 900 or so miles)

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
clutch
Affiliation:

Moving Cross Country (roughly 900 or so miles)

Post by clutch »

So i'm trying to plan a move and sort some things out. If i recall on MD some people had moved long distances at one time or another. As it stands now my options are either my friend and I fly back out to ohio, rent a truck or cargo van and move me. The other option is have a hitch installed on my friends 2014 Dodge Durango and drive to ohio, rent a trailer, and move me back. Option 3 is i buy a vehicle outright up here that has a hitch and we drive that out to ohio and do the trailer deal. Keep in mind i have a queen size bed, a rather large two piece rolling tool box, probably 4 to 5 large tool bags of tools, floor jack, jack stands, creeper, an oversized arm chair, then possibly some furniture if my friend wants it since my parents are cleaning their storage unit out. So i'm leaning to the truck route. Also Trucks and Trailers are nothing for my friend and I to drive.

What i want to hear is folks experiences with moving. Do you think the truck or trailer option would be better? I know with the box truck option i would atleast i think have to stop at weigh stations and tolls won't be cheap. Then again i'm not sure what tolls would be for a dodge journey with a dual axle trailer. My friend has an EZpass transponder so really it's no big deal as long as i put enough money on it. So anyone have any input or thoughts on moving?

Also the move is from Cridersville,Oh to Wakefield, NH. Current rout would probably be go across Ohio on 30, to 71, to 80, 80 across PA, to 87, to 90, then to 290, then 495, then to 95, and north up through New Hampshire. Looking at making this a two day trip from Ohio to New Hampshire. So any thougths and input i would like to hear them.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: Moving Cross Country (roughly 900 or so miles)

Post by Robert »

You can fit a lot of stuff in Uhaul 6 X 9 trailer. It has dual axles and handles a big load. Everything you listed would most likely fit in a 5 x 8 trailer too. I have used both behind my Pontiac Montana van with no issues.

One way trailer should be less than $150 to rent. I found that if I rent on line and then go pick it up, it is a few dollars cheaper too.

UHaul trucks do not have to stop at weigh stations either. If they chase you down, all you have to do is show them you are moving with your stuff. I have never been stopped and I pass all weigh stations.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
clutch
Affiliation:

Post by clutch »

Thanks for the info. I have been impressed with the uhaul trailers. Not only can they handle weight but even when loaded light they still handle well. Never have had a single one fish tail or get loose on me. Yet my flatbed trailer that thing if it's not loaded just right it gets crazy. I would consider using my trailer but that would basically mean new llights, tires, safety chains, coupling latch, wheel bearings, dust caps, and then tarps as well as new license plate and insurance since it has been parked since 2013. Also would have to hope the "water proof" tarps are actually and truly water proof. Only downside to either tailer option is before my friends Journey can pull one it needs the hitch along with new tires all around which tires aren't cheap, especially with 19 inch rims. Guess i'll keep looking at options. I'm sure it will all workout in time and somehow work out. I just know it needs to before my birthday in September since i have to renew my license and want to do it out here instead of back in Ohio.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Have moved across country, but it was paid for by hubby's company, however in other moves UHaul was the best option- my son used U Haul and like Robert said it doesn't have to be weighed- so no worry there. Would probably be less expensive to seek a cheap flight (you have time!) and load up (easier to load a U Haul than try to make it all fit & work in something smaller) and away you go-
Just my 2cents from observing long moves like this (my daughter & her hubby did this as well couple years ago and much easier/cheaper then any other option considered. Especially trying to make things all fit in anything else.
0 x
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Post by cmbl »

clutch wrote: Also the move is from Cridersville,Oh to Wakefield, NH. Current rout would probably be go across Ohio on 30, to 71, to 80, 80 across PA, to 87, to 90, then to 290, then 495, then to 95, and north up through New Hampshire. Looking at making this a two day trip from Ohio to New Hampshire. So any thougths and input i would like to hear them.
My two cents on your route: To get to I-87 from southeastern PA, my family typically uses I-84, sometimes I-287.
So in terms of getting from I-80 East to I-87 North, you might consider either...

1. 80 east across PA to 81 North to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, then I-84 East to 87. This is the recommended route for long-haul trucks to New England.
2. Stay on 80 east till Parsippany NJ and pick up 287 north to 87.

81 in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton can get slow (DOT has neither money nor intention to widen), but we've never had trouble on 84.
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
betterpromises2
Affiliation: Foothills Comm. Ch.

Post by betterpromises2 »

What brings you to New England/NH? Do you have a church in mind there?

I agree, 81 through Scranton and Wilkes Barre is not fun. 287 around NY is good, and you can save a few miles by going from 80 to Garden State (toll) to 287. 95 in Conn is bad news in the summer 24-7. You could do 84 through Hartford to 90 to 495.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

betterpromises2 wrote:What brings you to New England/NH? Do you have a church in mind there?

I agree, 81 through Scranton and Wilkes Barre is not fun. 287 around NY is good, and you can save a few miles by going from 80 to Garden State (toll) to 287. 95 in Conn is bad news in the summer 24-7. You could do 84 through Hartford to 90 to 495.
Yes, but beware, some of the parkways are "No Trucks"

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
clutch
Affiliation:

Post by clutch »

betterpromises2 wrote:What brings you to New England/NH? Do you have a church in mind there?

Well mostly just a change of scenery and to put it i guess nicely distance myself from my parents and families issues so i can focus on me and get myself heading in a good direction. I'm not saying i don't care about family but with 900 miles or so between us i guess you could say hopefully that will allow not just myself but them to gain some independence. Outside of that i'm coming out here because the scenery is amazing, no sales tax in new hampshire(won't miss anywhere from 6.75 to 7.25% back in ohio), can't beat the places to eat, can't beat my friends cooking, and basically for the first time in my life i'm happy. Out here i'm almost forgetting to take my mental health meds and blood pressure meds because i feel so good, i won't stop taking them though without a doctor telling me to. As for a church i don't really have one in mind at the moment. My main focus is getting moved and established then going from there.

An update on the move situation i may have lucked out and found a job, gotta wait and see if things go through. However between that and my parents possibly fixing the jeep or helping me put money towards a vehicle along with my friend possibly cosigning and being on the title if i get a vehicle in my name i could have my own vehicle to drive out there. So that could solve a lot of the vehical logistics side of things.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

did you finish school?
have you been working?

i'd love to be moving to NH.
we lived in Vermont for a few years, a long time ago, but, always kinda thot we should have been in NH. drove through a few times visiting the coast of Maine, Cape Cod, and Boston. always wanted to go back.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

We have a Dodge Journey, and although it is just the 4 banger (2.4), even with a V6 I wouldn't want to pull very much of a trailer with it, especially a tandem, and with the kind of weight you are talking about. Maybe it's also just because I am an old guy who is still skeptical about automatics, but my feeling is that it could take out the transmission, especially going long distance like that, and at high speeds (interstate). I have a Dodge Caravan V6 with the 4.0 in it, and the tow package, but I only pull a lightweight (aluminum) 4 x 8 open box trailer with it (mulch, trash, and scrap metal). Going by the load limits for that vehicle, I don't think I would supposed to be pulling a double axle trailer with that, either. My trailer is small enough that it does not have brakes, either, so I don't have a brake controller installed, but I think you'd need that as well for the type of trailer you are talking about. I'd just hate to "see" you get stuck some place half way with a transmission out, or have the trailer push you off of the road, or into another vehicle (if someone stopped suddenly in front of you, or cut you off).
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.