White Privilege?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: White Privilege?

Post by Soloist »

Laudatefan wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:49 am I should also add that here in PA, I've even see some Mennonite churches do the pronoun (he/him) thing. That signals an extreme form of liberal whiteness that we need to drop. I think people from other cultures think that is pretty weird.
Can you explain what you mean? I’ve never heard of this and I’m not sure I understand what you are saying.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Soloist wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:50 am
Laudatefan wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:49 am I should also add that here in PA, I've even see some Mennonite churches do the pronoun (he/him) thing. That signals an extreme form of liberal whiteness that we need to drop. I think people from other cultures think that is pretty weird.
Can you explain what you mean? I’ve never heard of this and I’m not sure I understand what you are saying.
We visited San Francisco First Mennonite on Christmas Eve Morning for their meeting. Upon entering we were asked to make name tags and I noticed that many people had their pronouns listed on their name tags as well. I think that’s what Laudate was referring to.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Laudatefan wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:47 am I don't have a great way to express myself on this topic--I'm hoping somebody on this forum does. But this comment here is correct. There is something about the diversity and openness of certain churches that feels different from most CA ones.

So it feels like there are two ditches and I'm looking for insights on how to keep doctrinal conservativism and add more welcomeness. I don't think most people appreciate how hard it is from someone truly from the outside (from Africa, Asia, etc.) to repeatedly overhear conversations about "Your cousin is ____!" (Fill in the Miller, Yoder, Eby, Martin, Horning, etc. blank.) If you hear that week after week, you're going to feel like an outsider. And let's face it, a lot of our church functions bleed over into family events. If you're not part of the family, it's real hard to feel at home.
Here are some ways I and others have tried to express ourselves on this topic.

https://churchplantersforum.org/cross-c ... tegration/

https://churchplantersforum.org/seekers-gathering-2018/

https://churchplantersforum.org/resourc ... resources/
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

https://churchplantersforum.org/wp-cont ... es-CAM.pdf

I noticed this list seemed to exclude the Holdemans. At least it did include Apostolic Christians. For example it says the closest church to Greeley CO is an hour north (presumably the Charity church there).

It is also amusing to see “plain Anabaptist” used as a term to exclude Apostolics. I went to an AC service three weeks ago. They were significantly plainer than a typical Beachy congregation around me (particularly the ADC split)

- Consistently practicing the greeting, which is nearly extinct in many “plain” circles
- Strong attendance at multiple services on a Sunday
- outfits at church are more modest and consistent than they used to be.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Josh wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:57 am https://churchplantersforum.org/wp-cont ... es-CAM.pdf

I noticed this list seemed to exclude the Holdemans. At least it did include Apostolic Christians. For example it says the closest church to Greeley CO is an hour north (presumably the Charity church there).

It is also amusing to see “plain Anabaptist” used as a term to exclude Apostolics. I went to an AC service three weeks ago. They were significantly plainer than a typical Beachy congregation around me (particularly the ADC split)

- Consistently practicing the greeting, which is nearly extinct in many “plain” circles
- Strong attendance at multiple services on a Sunday
- outfits at church are more modest and consistent than they used to be.
Do the Apostolic churches practice modest dress at all times, or only during worship services? Do they practice the head covering?
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh

Post by Josh »

mike wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:07 am Do the Apostolic churches practice modest dress at all times, or only during worship services? Do they practice the head covering?
My exposure to both ACs and AC-Nazareans is that they practice modest dress. The ACs practice the head covering at all times. Nazareans may or may not wear it all day. Their modest dress is of the skirts and shirts variety similar to what some homeschoolers do.

They are either at the level of or stricter than the more liberal wings of BMA, Charity, and Beachys (particularly ADC)... it seems questionable to criticise AC or Nazarean practice when the entire Beachy constituency is still considered "conservative Mennonite".
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Josh wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:37 am
mike wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:07 am Do the Apostolic churches practice modest dress at all times, or only during worship services? Do they practice the head covering?
My exposure to both ACs and AC-Nazareans is that they practice modest dress. The ACs practice the head covering at all times. Nazareans may or may not wear it all day. Their modest dress is of the skirts and shirts variety similar to what some homeschoolers do.

They are either at the level of or stricter than the more liberal wings of BMA, Charity, and Beachys (particularly ADC)... it seems questionable to criticise AC or Nazarean practice when the entire Beachy constituency is still considered "conservative Mennonite".
I barely know anything about Apostolics.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

mike wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:38 am
Josh wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:37 am

I barely know anything about Apostolics.
Yes, there is quite a variety among Apostolics, just like Mennonites.
All Apostolic men where suits and ties that I am aware of.
Headcovering consists of a small band fastened on the top of the head. Most Apostolics disapprove of anyone wearing a larger covering such as a black scarf. (Similar to many Mennonite churches disapproving of ladies wearing an opaque cap.)
Some apostolics where large white lacy veils for Sunday and small bands during the week.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:44 am Headcovering consists of a small band fastened on the top of the head. Most Apostolics disapprove of anyone wearing a larger covering such as a black scarf. (Similar to many Mennonite churches disapproving of ladies wearing an opaque cap.)
This has substantially changed. The AC church in West Akron had lots of Nazarean type veils for the service. (A lot of Nazareans are going to AC churches nowadays.) I too was surprised to see this.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:05 pm
Ernie wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:44 am Headcovering consists of a small band fastened on the top of the head. Most Apostolics disapprove of anyone wearing a larger covering such as a black scarf. (Similar to many Mennonite churches disapproving of ladies wearing an opaque cap.)
This has substantially changed. The AC church in West Akron had lots of Nazarean type veils for the service. (A lot of Nazareans are going to AC churches nowadays.) I too was surprised to see this.
I'm not familiar with "Nazarean type veils". Perhaps you could post some pictures of the different kinds?
0 x