White Privilege?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Re: White Privilege?

Post by mike »

Szdfan wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:45 am
ohio jones wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:07 pm
RZehr wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:09 pm looks Like it He was Wrong about The germans Failing to Adopt his Way. donald Trump, of German ancestry, Follows the Very same Capitalization rules Of thomas Jefferson.
The capitalization of Nouns has been abandoned in the English Language but is still present in German. Trump, I am Convinced, Randomly capitalizes Words rather than following established Rules like Franklin (or Trump's own Forefathers) did.
I am deeply Convicted that Donald Trump does not care about the Rules and Grammar Conventions of English.

fixed it for you
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

barnhart wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:58 am Ned, I believe you, it's hard to be a cultural outsider. On this point we agree. But consider that same experience may extend to people who are outsiders by race. Is it possible they may not be "playing the race card" for advantage but rather describing reality from their perspective just as you are.
I think people can be outsiders because of race but I strongly disagree that it is a hard fast rule. And it doesn’t work with people who aren’t racist simple as that.

I do connect easily with immigrant people it seems and one of my friends in particular from India I can see the huge struggle - to him - I am certainly much more privileged and have numerous more advantages. It’s probably why I get so frustrated - I try to help him and can’t even provide properly for my own while others that are supposed to be close to him enjoy luxury and are blind to or ignore his needs…
0 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

mike wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:15 am
Szdfan wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:45 am I am deeply Convicted that Donald Trump does not care about the Rules and Grammar Conventions of English.
fixed it for you
I'm pretty sure he cares about the one in Milwaukee next July. That may be the only one.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Laudatefan
Affiliation: Nondenom

Post by Laudatefan »

Thanks for all the responses. I'm trying to find a nonoffensive path forward. And I'm more interested in the state of affairs in the church than in government.

At least in Pennsylvania, if you go from a conservative Anabaptist church to a liberal church in the same town, the liberal church will typically have much more diversity. (Usually the non-whites in the conservative churches are from adoption.) What are we doing wrong?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Laudatefan wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:07 pm Thanks for all the responses. I'm trying to find a nonoffensive path forward. And I'm more interested in the state of affairs in the church than in government.

At least in Pennsylvania, if you go from a conservative Anabaptist church to a liberal church in the same town, the liberal church will typically have much more diversity. (Usually the non-whites in the conservative churches are from adoption.) What are we doing wrong?
Why is this a sign something is wrong?

Most people prefer to go to church where they will be part of the ethnic majority.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:19 pm
Laudatefan wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:07 pm Thanks for all the responses. I'm trying to find a nonoffensive path forward. And I'm more interested in the state of affairs in the church than in government.

Most people prefer to go to church where they will be part of the ethnic majority.
At a minimum it is a sign that they aren't meeting the central command of Christianity as expressed in the Great Commission.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:24 pm

At a minimum it is a sign that they aren't meeting the central command of Christianity as expressed in the Great Commission.
I don’t see anywhere in the Bible that we’re called to have ethnic quotas in a specific congregation.
1 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:24 pm

I don’t see anywhere in the Bible that we’re called to have ethnic quotas in a specific congregation.
Who said anything about quotas?

I'm just pointing out that churches whose members are largely or entirely born into the congregation and from one narrow ethnic group are not exactly meeting the command of the Great Commission. How important you think that is depends on your theology I suppose.

I don't know about "most people" but I prefer to attend a church that has more diversity and isn't so homogenous. I learn more that way. Most of my relatives are honestly pretty boring.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Not really. If a church is similar in ethnicity as the surrounding areas, and we also control for the children of the founding ethnicity, there is no problem whatsoever.

Are all black churches in Africa, all Asian churches in Asia, racist and failing the great commission? Not necessarily.

What about black churches in the South? What about Korean churches in California? Racist? No, not necessarily. Failing the Great Commission? Not necessarily.
1 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:00 pm

Not really. If a church is similar in ethnicity as the surrounding areas, and we also control for the children of the founding ethnicity, there is no problem whatsoever.

Are all black churches in Africa, all Asian churches in Asia, racist and failing the great commission? Not necessarily.

What about black churches in the South? What about Korean churches in California? Racist? No, not necessarily. Failing the Great Commission? Not necessarily.
The comparison that Laudatenfan was making was between conservative and liberal churches within the same diverse urban area like Lancaster PA. And commenting that the liberal churches were always more diverse. Is that true? I have no idea. But it kind of rings true.
0 x