White Privilege?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Laudatefan
Affiliation: Nondenom

White Privilege?

Post by Laudatefan »

To many of us, our communities are too ethnically monolithic. I'm wondering if the phrase "white privilege" is helpful or offensive? Here is some food for thought on the topic.

https://www.csmedia1.com/neffmc.org/white-privilege.pdf

How can we better diversify? For those in the Lancaster area, there are even small groups offered on this topic. It seems more important than the amount of air time that it is getting.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: White Privilege?

Post by steve-in-kville »

I see it around me, albeit not as bad as it could be. I work with a few older, white, republican women and they seem to be the most vocal when it comes to racism.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

I have travelled your fair continent. I must say that I saw no evidence of the alleged “white privilege”. I did see people of all races treating others with courtesy.

I have also seen people trying to inflame riots with terms such as “white privilege”. In speaking with academic friends and colleagues of varying races, they all condemn the use of inflammatory language, including the term “white privilege”. They note the distortion of history to sell books which in the best ethos of academic tradition is considered both dishonest and greed driven.

All races have engaged in slave trade/human trafficking. Forgiveness and seeking to promote peace rather than riots is the way forward.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

That phrase is quite offensive to me.
2 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

White people are an estimated 59% of the US population.

Meanwhile, this is Congress:

And this is the current GOP delegation. Hmmmm.

0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

From the picture I can conclude the black and white to be very over represented. Red seems to be a popular one as well… I want to see more representation from green, yellow and light blue. I’m really perturbed that there’s no purple… my wife thinks one of the Republicans looks like a vampire. I think we really ought to open a new nursing home though. There’s not enough nursing care in Congress for them.

The vast majority of these people would be right at home in eastern. I want to see more beard representation.
3 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

If the imbalances in politics is the context, then it is class privilege. It requires vast amounts of capital to get elected. Lower economic class people (and largely lower middle class as well) have very little chance of ever being considered as viable candidates.
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:27 pm White people are an estimated 59% of the US population.
In a pure democracy, that is racist, I would think that 59% majority would ensure a 100% white political class.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Ken wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:27 pm White people are an estimated 59% of the US population.

Meanwhile, this is Congress:
So are you are saying a person of color can not represent me? I can think of multiple ones that could.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

RZehr wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:03 pm
In a pure democracy, that is racist, I would think that 59% majority would ensure a 100% white political class.
And during the Civil War, it was white people who fought and voted to remove slavery.
0 x