White Privilege?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: White Privilege?

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:55 pm I'm not familiar with "Nazarean type veils". Perhaps you could post some pictures of the different kinds?
I can't find very many good pictures; here is one from a church in Canada.

They are worn like a triangle scarf sort of thing. If you have seen traditional Catholic veils they are similar to that (except without the "fancy" styling).
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

mike wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:38 am I barely know anything about Apostolics.
Ernie wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:44 am Headcovering consists of a small band fastened on the top of the head.
For those not familiar, the Apostolic Christian Churches in my area tend to wear the type of headcovering pictured here:
https://www.acbookstore.org/store/Head-Coverings
The band types are about 6 to 8 inches by 2 to 3 inches.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Ernie wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:44 am
mike wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:38 am
Josh wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:37 am

My exposure to both ACs and AC-Nazareans is that they practice modest dress. The ACs practice the head covering at all times. Nazareans may or may not wear it all day. Their modest dress is of the skirts and shirts variety similar to what some homeschoolers do.

They are either at the level of or stricter than the more liberal wings of BMA, Charity, and Beachys (particularly ADC)... it seems questionable to criticise AC or Nazarean practice when the entire Beachy constituency is still considered "conservative Mennonite".
I barely know anything about Apostolics.
Yes, there is quite a variety among Apostolics, just like Mennonites.
All Apostolic men where suits and ties that I am aware of.
Headcovering consists of a small band fastened on the top of the head. Most Apostolics disapprove of anyone wearing a larger covering such as a black scarf. (Similar to many Mennonite churches disapproving of ladies wearing an opaque cap.)
Some apostolics where large white lacy veils for Sunday and small bands during the week.
Do Apostolics hold any beliefs, values, or practices that would be objectionable to conservative Anabaptists?
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

mike wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:27 am
Do Apostolics hold any beliefs, values, or practices that would be objectionable to conservative Anabaptists?
I object to their permanent use of excommunication. You fall into a death sin, repent from it, you never can partake in communion or serve in any role again.
You are welcome to attend but basically as a permanent non-member. Given none of the members were in this state when we visited (and knowing there is generally at least one person who has fallen into something) I suspect the practice leads to more hidden sin because the cost of confession is made higher then what God or Paul’ teaching indicated.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh

Post by Josh »

Soloist wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:58 am
I object to their permanent use of excommunication. You fall into a death sin, repent from it, you never can partake in communion or serve in any role again.
You are welcome to attend but basically as a permanent non-member. Given none of the members were in this state when we visited (and knowing there is generally at least one person who has fallen into something) I suspect the practice leads to more hidden sin because the cost of confession is made higher then what God or Paul’ teaching indicated.
The ACC explicitly stopped doing this and in practice the AC-Nazarene church doesn’t do this. The ACF split and a few other tiny very strict sects still do.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Josh wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:45 am
Soloist wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:58 am
The ACC explicitly stopped doing this and in practice the AC-Nazarene church doesn’t do this. The ACF split and a few other tiny very strict sects still do.
Well the group we visited in Oregon said they recently split but that both the “liberal” and themselves still practiced it.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Soloist wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:32 am Well the group we visited in Oregon said they recently split but that both the “liberal” and themselves still practiced it.
That's odd (I assume you visited an ACF group?), since that was specifically what the ACC-ACF split was over.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Josh wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:09 am
Soloist wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:32 am Well the group we visited in Oregon said they recently split but that both the “liberal” and themselves still practiced it.
That's odd (I assume you visited an ACF group?), since that was specifically what the ACC-ACF split was over.
I don’t remember, they indicated there was a number of reasons.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

mike wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:27 amDo Apostolics hold any beliefs, values, or practices that would be objectionable to conservative Anabaptists?
Most Apostolics do not believe they are the only church, but they believe their way is the only way. (their terminology)
Most Apostolics want to be left alone to practice their faith as they wish, and they feel like outsiders are always asking them direct questions about their beliefs. They prefer not needing to defend their beliefs to those who don't understand their culture.

As I understand it,
The Apostolic Faith church will rebaptize anyone, including those who come from other Apostolic churches.
The Christian Apostolic Church will rebaptize anyone who did not come from an Apostolic church.
And the Apostolic Christian Church of America will rebaptize anyone who was not immersed/submersed.

As I understand it,
The Apostolic Faith church will excommunicate for "sins unto death" and a person can never rejoin the church.
The Christian Apostolic Church will excommunicate for "sins unto death", but allow people to repent and join the church.
And the Apostolic Christian Church of America will excommunicate for "sins unto death", but allow people to repent and join the church.

Apostolics don't require that divorced and remarried people separate, if they were married prior to conversion.

Apostolics allow for non-combatant service in the military.

And as mentioned earlier...
Men where long neck ties.
Most women wear a small symbol of a head-covering as pictured earlier in this thread.

You Apostolic folks can correct any of the nuances that I got wrong here.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:26 am
mike wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:27 amDo Apostolics hold any beliefs, values, or practices that would be objectionable to conservative Anabaptists?
Most Apostolics do not believe they are the only church, but they believe their way is the only way. (their terminology)
Don't many conservative Anabaptists believe the same though?
Most Apostolics want to be left alone to practice their faith as they wish, and they feel like outsiders are always asking them direct questions about their beliefs. They prefer not needing to defend their beliefs to those who don't understand their culture.
Yes. This would make them similar to Old Orders and similar to ultra conservative groups.
As I understand it,
The Apostolic Faith church will rebaptize anyone, including those who come from other Apostolic churches.
The Christian Apostolic Church will rebaptize anyone who did not come from an Apostolic church.
Yes. The AFC is extremely sectarian. The other group (I think you mean the Doraslavic group) is even more sectarian to an extreme, about the same as Orthodox Mennonites. These groups are fringe and do not constitute the bulk of ACs.
And the Apostolic Christian Church of America will rebaptize anyone who was not immersed/submersed.
Yes. This is the same as groups like German Baptists. It would be objectionable to Amish and Mennonites but not really objectionable to all conservative Anabaptists (I don't think it makes sense to say GBs and ACs are "objectionable to conservative Anabaptists", since they both constitute a large fraction of CAs.)
Apostolics don't require that divorced and remarried people separate, if they were married prior to conversion.
Yes, that is correct, ACs basically have almost exactly the same practices around marriage as Holdemans.
Apostolics allow for non-combatant service in the military.
Yes. This is a marked deviation from other CAs and probably the most significant difference.
And as mentioned earlier...
Men where long neck ties.
Doesn't BMA do this too?
Most women wear a small symbol of a head-covering as pictured earlier in this thread.
At this point, Beachys (at least where I live), Charity people, and some BMA people do this. As I understand it BMA has actually been trying to deal with this, but the Beachy coverings are about the same size as CMC coverings used to be or smaller. I recently saw one that is smaller than anything an AC person would wear.
0 x