Land, Owning land, Sharing land, Defending land, Etc.

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Land, Owning land, Sharing land, Defending land, Etc.

Post by Ernie »

NedFlanders wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:08 pm
Ernie wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:13 pm
NedFlanders wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:09 am Why do you mention Native Americans and not anybody who wanted to use it?! The problem with your sentiment is you imply the idea that the land was theirs…. I believe this is a unbiblical view and try to encourage people - It IS God’s land!!! Let’s ALL share and steward it rather than special privileges to certain people which discriminates and encourages the mindset that one person(s) has more right than another.
The Native Americans in my part of the country were glad to share their land with Europeans. They just didn't want the Europeans to push them out, claim the land for themselves, and then refuse to share it with those who had lived here for millenia.
I wish your words didn’t sound like they deny the scripture, but they do.
Acts 17:24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
Acts 17:25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
Acts 17:26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
People are people, why do we have to make lines about where a persons ancestors are from? Aren’t we all descendants of Adam and Eve?!!!!
I'm sorry but I don't get the connection between what I wrote and what you wrote. Can you say more?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Why only look at LAND from this perspective? Everything in the earth and all of creation is really God's. So if land should not be held in private ownership, then what about cattle? Why do you keep a bank account with money in it? Why do you have a vehicle in your own name? God made us stewards of many things. The prophet Jeremiah was told to go buy a field.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Neto wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:13 am Why only look at LAND from this perspective? Everything in the earth and all of creation is really God's. So if land should not be held in private ownership, then what about cattle? Why do you keep a bank account with money in it? Why do you have a vehicle in your own name? God made us stewards of many things. The prophet Jeremiah was told to go buy a field.
Good point.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

Ernie wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:05 am
NedFlanders wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:08 pm
Ernie wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:13 pm
The Native Americans in my part of the country were glad to share [font=][font=]their[/font][/font] land with Europeans. They just didn't want the Europeans to push them out, claim the land for themselves, and then refuse to share it with those who had lived here for millenia.
I wish your words didn’t sound like they deny the scripture, but they do.
Acts 17:24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
Acts 17:25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
Acts 17:26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
People are people, why do we have to make lines about where a persons ancestors are from? Aren’t we all descendants of Adam and Eve?!!!!
I'm sorry but I don't get the connection between what I wrote and what you wrote. Can you say more?
We more can I say? You called it Native American land! - Not Gods land. And by segregating Native Americans from European it also can create lines when God made one race. God is not partial and neither are we to be. I think people who injest news end up not realizing the subtle racism they end up falling for.
0 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Neto wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:13 am Why only look at LAND from this perspective? Everything in the earth and all of creation is really God's. So if land should not be held in private ownership, then what about cattle? Why do you keep a bank account with money in it? Why do you have a vehicle in your own name? God made us stewards of many things. The prophet Jeremiah was told to go buy a field.
What perspective are you referencing?
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

NedFlanders wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:53 amWe more can I say? You called it Native American land! - Not Gods land. And by segregating Native Americans from European it also can create lines when God made one race. God is not partial and neither are we to be. I think people who injest news end up not realizing the subtle racism they end up falling for.
I don't think I called it Native American land did I?

A few centuries ago, some people were living where I now live, and they were glad to share the land with others.
Some people from across the ocean came and told the people that were living here to move.
The people from across the ocean were not open to sharing the land with the people who were already living here, nor with others who moved in after them.

Is this better?
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

barnhart wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:12 am
What perspective are you referencing?
The idea that land should not be privately owned. I realize there is also the context of someone else having been prevented from its use in the past, but the same is true of rented land, and the produce gained from its use. And, the cash we carry in our wallets (or purses) could have been taken from someone else by unrighteous means, even though we personally acquired it through legitimate work/means. Same for land (in my opinion).

I cannot pinpoint the exact stage at which that reasoning "goes off the tracks", but the end point doesn't make sense in light of what the Scripture teaches about stewardship. (Because if I have not been given anything at all by God, then I cannot even give freely, because I have nothing to give.) Perhaps I should have kept my thoughts to myself, unless I can come to the place where I understand what's going on with this whole idea.

(I'm reminded of a similar thought process I see exemplified by some in the antique auto hobby - that I do not own the old car I have, I am only a "caretaker", and so I do not have the right to modify it in any way that changes it from its original form.)
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Ernie wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:49 am
NedFlanders wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:53 amWe more can I say? You called it Native American land! - Not Gods land. And by segregating Native Americans from European it also can create lines when God made one race. God is not partial and neither are we to be. I think people who injest news end up not realizing the subtle racism they end up falling for.
I don't think I called it Native American land did I?

A few centuries ago, some people were living where I now live, and they were glad to share the land with others.
Some people from across the ocean came and told the people that were living here to move.
The people from across the ocean were not open to sharing the land with the people who were already living here, nor with others who moved in after them.

Is this better?
Were they glad to share it? This is idealizing the "Noble Savage" just a touch. Ask the Susquehannocks how glad they felt to share the land with the 5 nations of the Iroquois.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Why then have a commandment against stealing?
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
AndersonD
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by AndersonD »

NedFlanders wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:09 am
Ken wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:15 pm
NedFlanders wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:24 pm
Come on over.
When we house churched people would stay at “our” home for hours even after we left. If they asked for anything I gave it to them. The look on peoples faces when they bring stuff back and say, “You would give me anything!” is kinda funny. It also seems to creep people out.
You feel the same way about random people off the street who aren't members of your church?
:lol: When we house churched there were people off the street I might have trusted more than the people that were coming to our house.

After six years of living in this home I had a key made as we were gone for a bit in the summer and my wife wanted the option of our sixteen year old to be able to lock our house when he was home alone.

I’m sick of the responsibility of stuff anyway, I just have a home to house my family - other than providing for my family it means absolutely nothing to me.
Just to clarify, your 16 year old doesn't share your beliefs and started locking up the house? Afraid of a Boogeyman? My parents lock but I don't and I am with you on the "stuff". The only thing I would miss if my house went up in smoke would be my books. The roof drips water in my bedroom during rainstorms.
0 x