Land, Owning land, Sharing land, Defending land, Etc.

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Re: Land, Owning land, Sharing land, Defending land, Etc.

Post by NedFlanders »

Why do you mention Native Americans and not anybody who wanted to use it?! The problem with your sentiment is you imply the idea that the land was theirs…. I believe this is a unbiblical view and try to encourage people - It IS God’s land!!! Let’s ALL share and steward it rather than special privileges to certain people which discriminates and encourages the mindset that one person(s) has more right than another.
0 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

NedFlanders wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:09 am Why do you mention Native Americans and not anybody who wanted to use it?! The problem with your sentiment is you imply the idea that the land was theirs…. I believe this is a unbiblical view and try to encourage people - It IS God’s land!!! Let’s ALL share and steward it rather than special privileges to certain people which discriminates and encourages the mindset that one person(s) has more right than another.
The Native Americans in my part of the country were glad to share their land with Europeans. They just didn't want the Europeans to push them out, claim the land for themselves, and then refuse to share it with those who had lived here for millenia.
3 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

barnhart wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:52 am I recently listened to the Anabaptist Perspectives podcast where historian John Ruth reported on his study into the early Anabaptist use of Psalm 24:1, "The Earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof, the world and they that dwell in it."
John D. Roth, not John L. Ruth (author of the book by that name), just for clarification. Here's the episode:

1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Ernie wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:51 am ... I have not given a lot of thought to land ownership and it appears that you have, and I commend you for this...
I have considered what it would look like to reach out to the people displaced from my area and what type of relationship would be possible. What if I self assessed a "land tax" each year and mailed it to them to acknowledge their loss. I acknowledge the authority of ownership to the government by paying tax.
0 x
NedFlanders

Post by NedFlanders »

Ernie wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:13 pm
NedFlanders wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:09 am Why do you mention Native Americans and not anybody who wanted to use it?! The problem with your sentiment is you imply the idea that the land was theirs…. I believe this is a unbiblical view and try to encourage people - It IS God’s land!!! Let’s ALL share and steward it rather than special privileges to certain people which discriminates and encourages the mindset that one person(s) has more right than another.
The Native Americans in my part of the country were glad to share their land with Europeans. They just didn't want the Europeans to push them out, claim the land for themselves, and then refuse to share it with those who had lived here for millenia.
I wish your words didn’t sound like they deny the scripture, but they do.
Acts 17:24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
Acts 17:25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
Acts 17:26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
People are people, why do we have to make lines about where a persons ancestors are from? Aren’t we all descendants of Adam and Eve?!!!!
0 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
NedFlanders

Post by NedFlanders »

barnhart wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:35 pm
Ernie wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:51 am ... I have not given a lot of thought to land ownership and it appears that you have, and I commend you for this...
I have considered what it would look like to reach out to the people displaced from my area and what type of relationship would be possible. What if I self assessed a "land tax" each year and mailed it to them to acknowledge their loss. I acknowledge the authority of ownership to the government by paying tax.
So you believe that is what Christ did by paying tax? You believe Christ accepted the authority of ownership to Cesar?!! Pretty unbiblical logic.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

NedFlanders wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:08 pm People are people, why do we have to make lines about where a persons ancestors are from? Aren’t we all descendants of Adam and Eve?!!!!
So you are fine then if I decide to move into your house and do what I want on YOUR property?

It is all God's property. What right do YOU have to exclude me or anyone else?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
NedFlanders

Post by NedFlanders »

Ken wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:47 pm
NedFlanders wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:08 pm People are people, why do we have to make lines about where a persons ancestors are from? Aren’t we all descendants of Adam and Eve?!!!!
So you are fine then if I decide to move into your house and do what I want on YOUR property?

Come on over.
When we house churched people would stay at “our” home for hours even after we left. If they asked for anything I gave it to them. The look on peoples faces when they bring stuff back and say, “You would give me anything!” is kinda funny. It also seems to creep people out.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

NedFlanders wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:24 pm

Come on over.
When we house churched people would stay at “our” home for hours even after we left. If they asked for anything I gave it to them. The look on peoples faces when they bring stuff back and say, “You would give me anything!” is kinda funny. It also seems to creep people out.
You feel the same way about random people off the street who aren't members of your church?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
NedFlanders

Post by NedFlanders »

Ken wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:15 pm
NedFlanders wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:24 pm

Come on over.
You feel the same way about random people off the street who aren't members of your church?
:lol: When we house churched there were people off the street I might have trusted more than the people that were coming to our house.

After six years of living in this home I had a key made as we were gone for a bit in the summer and my wife wanted the option of our sixteen year old to be able to lock our house when he was home alone.

I’m sick of the responsibility of stuff anyway, I just have a home to house my family - other than providing for my family it means absolutely nothing to me.
1 x