Gender Differences

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Gender Differences

Post by Neto »

I have often noticed (and if I'm honest, with some consternation) that my wife doesn't "drive far ahead". That is, in my perception, she isn't aware of what is going on much farther than the vehicle in front of her, and little of what is going on behind us. But this is not to criticize her, or any other women. (I, on the other hand, am constantly watching in the rear view mirrors, to judge the rate at which the traffic is approaching from behind, so I don't get trapped behind the vehicle in front of me, one that I am slowly gaining on. And, of course, to watch for crazy drivers back there. Then out in front. WAY out in front - as far as I can see. What's going on up there that might influence what the other vehicles around me will do.)

I heard a "Christian comedian" some weeks ago, doing a routine about gender differences in the marriage relationship, and he got on the deal where the wife asks her husband to fetch something out of the ice box, he can never find it, and comes back and says "It's not in there anywhere."

So this morning, before my wife left to go help our daughter with the children (they have 3 boys age two and below - twins who are 7 months, and then the 2 year old; the oldest is in school, 4th grade, actually), she gave me some suggestions of what I could heat up for lunch. I went to the ice box and looked for it. No where to be found. So I went out to the garage and looked in the fridge out there. (Why we have two refrigerators is another story.) Wasn't in there, either. But I found something that was actually older, down on the bottom shelf, so I had some of that. Then I remembered this comedian's joke about that a woman cannot see things that are far away, and the man cannot see stuff that is literally right in front of his face. So I figured, OK, I will test this. Went back to the ice box, opened it, then stepped back a couple of steps and looked in. Sure enough, those sandwiches she had told me about were literally right there, on one of the top selves, right at the front of the fridge. And I had looked "all over" in there the first time, and I actually searched in there at least 2 or 3 times. Never saw it. Go figure....
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Re: Gender Differences

Post by QuietlyListening »

Neto as you described yourself looking in the fridge you sounded just like my husband- had to laugh. Even if I say, right side top or bottom shelf etc- he can't find it. My son has inherited this gene. Interestingly enough so has my oldest daughter and her husband can find things But I agree there are differences in genders and the can't find something is usually the male but I guess not always.

Glad you finally saw what your wife was alluding to. :D
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

I dunno.

If I send my wife out to the garage to get a specific tool that is exactly where I say it is, she still can't find it.

So I think these things are more habits that we develop and not related to gender. We are far more attuned to the environments that we pay attention to and manipulate ourselves and less to those that we don't. You don't pay attention to your fridge and your wife does. There are probably parts of your house that you pay attention to and maintain that she doesn't.

It's like my kids never really knew the geography of our neighborhood or how to get from point A to point B because they grew up riding in the back of cars not paying much attention, with their noses in books or just talking or bickering. But once they got their licenses and started to drive themselves they finally were forced to learn our street grid and local geography.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Neto, did I read correctly that your 2-year old grandson is in 4th grade? What’s the average IQ in your family?
2 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:22 pm Neto, did I read correctly that your 2-year old grandson is in 4th grade? What’s the average IQ in your family?
The oldest must be about 9 to be in 4th grade.
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:22 pm Neto, did I read correctly that your 2-year old grandson is in 4th grade? What’s the average IQ in your family?
That was probably confusing, but there was a semicolon (;) in there, not a comma. I thought that was the correct grammatical usage, but maybe not.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Neto

Post by Neto »

RZehr wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:29 pm
The oldest must be about 9 to be in 4th grade.
Correct. 10 next month.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

To be honest my wife is just better than me. In almost every thing. But we may be a unique case.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

barnhart wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:13 pm To be honest my wife is just better than me. In almost every thing. But we may be a unique case.
No, you are in good company.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

But we still don’t know the average IQ of Neto’s family.
0 x