Whooping Cough Outbreak Strikes Missouri Amish Community

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Re: Whooping Cough Outbreak Strikes Missouri Amish Community

Post by Wade »

The lack of compassion in this thread is truly disheartening... :(

Should not when we realize the undeserved forgiveness and mercy extended through Christ for our poor souls that it would move us to share that forgiveness and mercy to others.

Thank you Max for sharing so that we can pray for others. And I am sorry I encouraged with bunny trailing away from compassion.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Wade wrote:The lack of compassion in this thread is truly disheartening... :(

Should not when we realize the undeserved forgiveness and mercy extended through Christ for our poor souls that it would move us to share that forgiveness and mercy to others.

Thank you Max for sharing so that we can pray for others. And I am sorry I encouraged with bunny trailing away from compassion.
How much "compassion" do you show to a drunk driver who plows through a telephone pole and crashes into someone's house, injuring himself and damaging property he has no way to repay?

(Personally, I show quite a bit. I just see a real desire to excuse the reckless behaviour of anti vaxxers and extreme religious sects in general, paired up with a distressing level of talk of "personal responsibility" for people struggling with poverty or addictions.)
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote:

How much "compassion" do you show to a drunk driver who plows through a telephone pole and crashes into someone's house, injuring himself and damaging property he has no way to repay?

(Personally, I show quite a bit. I just see a real desire to excuse the reckless behaviour of anti vaxxers and extreme religious sects in general, paired up with a distressing level of talk of "personal responsibility" for people struggling with poverty or addictions.)
Josh, when a person has struggled and spent much time in prayer to discern the Lord's will, and as a result believes they must abstain from the use of these particular vaccines, I consider it wrong to describe their decision as reckless. Please try to speak more kindly.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

ken_sylvania wrote:
Josh wrote:

Josh, when a person has struggled and spent much time in prayer to discern the Lord's will, and as a result believes they must abstain from the use of these particular vaccines, I consider it wrong to describe their decision as reckless. Please try to speak more kindly.
Some of the reason is that there is "alternative truth" out there. There are a few catholic groups, most notable "the Children of God for Life" that send out propaganda suggesting that pharmaceutical companies are encouraging or causing abortions, in other words, "abortions to order." There are no facts backing this up. Tissue that would otherwise be discarded is used.

The second problem is that current ethical norms regarding consent are being projected back on events of 50 years ago. There things that I did 35 years ago that would not pass ethical muster today, as we did statistical studies on data gathered for normal treatment without getting consent, as long as the patient was not identified and it had no impact on patient care. That changed about 20 years ago, and we need get consent for inclusion of patient data in such studies. Is it what we did than wrong ? Not according to the rules in place in 1979. It would be now.

The use of such tissue was standard practice than. It is not now without permission. Was it wrong than?

I would suggest we are doing better now, but we really should judge the past by todays standards.

That is why I have suggested that what we do with what we have in our hands now is the sole set of data we should be using to make our decisions as to what we should do with vaccines.

J.M.
0 x
:hug: