Popular Alternative Theories

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Popular Alternative Theories

Post by steve-in-kville »

Lymes disease was actually invented by the US military and accidently tested on the human population.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
AndersonD
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by AndersonD »

Ernie wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:50 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:28 am
Ernie wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:56 am
Sure. Let's talk about theories that originated in the 21st century.
JFK was killed by the CIA because he was gonna shut them down.

The Sandy Hook school shooting was faked.

9/11 was an inside job to pass the Patriot Act.

The first moon landing was faked.

I'm sure I'll have more later...
Some "alternative theorists" believe all sorts of things. Others believe only a few things. I'm wanting to know what the top ten are (that nearly anyone who is a "minor alternative theorist" is likely to believe.
Vaccines cause autism.

Stink bugs are spy bots from China, but that one isn't in the top ten.

All the conspiracy around GMo's.

Not to mention all the myths about the Covid vaccine, whereas my family has received multiple vaccines.

My school principal often discussed how the US would run out of oil. As I recall, we should be out of oil by now.

Another dear lady at Flintstone was stockpiling for Y2K. I stayed up that night and was surprised the lights stayed on. My mom kept her computer on.
So I think we both grew up in the same culture. I never heard conspiracy theories until I began associating with other groups. As a child growing up did your family for instance have a deep distrust of science and government? Talk against big pharma, big ag. I remember a school teacher who spoke negatively about the Industrial Revolution and we students often gave him pushed back for his Luddite views.
Last edited by AndersonD on Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:56 am
barnhart wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:39 amHow about homeopathic medicine, does that count as alternative.
Yes, I suppose anything that conflicts with the American Medical Association's beliefs could be considered an alternative. Some alternative health practices are much more believable to me than others.
Considering the AMA used to claim cigarettes were not unhealthy, one wonders why exactly they are the authority on what is “alternative”.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

AndersonD wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:08 amSo I think we both grew up in the same culture. I never heard conspiracy theories until I began associating with other groups. As a child growing up did your family for instance have a deep distrust of science and government? Talk against big pharma, big ag.
Yes, my parents bought into a lot of this kind of thing. But it was not common in my church (that I am aware of)
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:12 amConsidering the AMA used to claim cigarettes were not unhealthy, one wonders why exactly they are the authority on what is “alternative”.
That is a legitimate question.

At the same time, I know people who are "all natural", who suddenly began recommending taking antibiotics for 6 months for Lyme disease, something most medical doctors think is overly hard on one's body and should be avoided if possible. Which makes me wonder why some in the alternative health universe can be the authority on everything. Even to the point of recommending antibiotics for 6 months.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

0 x
AndersonD

Post by AndersonD »

Ernie wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:13 am
AndersonD wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:08 amSo I think we both grew up in the same culture. I never heard conspiracy theories until I began associating with other groups. As a child growing up did your family for instance have a deep distrust of science and government? Talk against big pharma, big ag.
Yes, my parents bought into a lot of this kind of thing. But it was not common in my church (that I am aware of)
Hmmm, I didn't realize this.
0 x
AndersonD

Post by AndersonD »

Ernie wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:14 am
Josh wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:12 amConsidering the AMA used to claim cigarettes were not unhealthy, one wonders why exactly they are the authority on what is “alternative”.
That is a legitimate question.

At the same time, I know people who are "all natural", who suddenly began recommending taking antibiotics for 6 months for Lyme disease, something most medical doctors think is overly hard on one's body and should be avoided if possible. Which makes me wonder why some in the alternative health universe can be the authority on everything. Even to the point of recommending antibiotics for 6 months.
People in the hof are puffing on cigars and of course they have their own doctors. The docs don't feel that a few puffs will negatively affect their health. The hof is very health conscious, bordering on the extreme.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:12 am
Ernie wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:56 am
barnhart wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:39 amHow about homeopathic medicine, does that count as alternative.
Yes, I suppose anything that conflicts with the American Medical Association's beliefs could be considered an alternative. Some alternative health practices are much more believable to me than others.
Considering the AMA used to claim cigarettes were not unhealthy, one wonders why exactly they are the authority on what is “alternative”.
Did the AMA ever claim cigarettes were not unhealthy? Or was that just individual doctors hired by the tobacco companies to be ad spokesmen?

In any event, the AMA is nothing more than a trade organization for physicians. No different from say the Motion Picture Association or National Cattleman's Beef Association. Their primary mission is to advocate for physicians and they mostly do so from the perspective of private practice physicians and surgeons, not from say the perspective of physicians working outside of private practice for public clinics, the VA, etc. Most doctors I know who work in public medicine can't stand the AMA because it typically takes a Republican tilt in opposition to public health care.

They do publish a reputable medical journal, JAMA which has an independent editorial board that is not controlled by the AMA itself.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Health and medical discussion now has its own thread.
0 x