Generic or "house brand" groceries you wouldn't hesitate to buy?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

Check all that apply.

Beverages
10%
Dairy
11%
Deli meat
7%
Frozen items
11%
Pasta
13%
Veggies & fruit
10%
Snack items
13%
Pet food
7%
Bakery
10%
Other (please explain)
8%

Total votes: 61

steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Generic or "house brand" groceries you wouldn't hesitate to buy?

Post by steve-in-kville »

I think we did a poll like this in the past....

Some people are strange and refuse to buy anything other than brand name groceries. People like me always look for the generic, or house brand groceries.

Vote and discuss. I'm limited to ten options, so feel free to post up what I missed.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Generic or "house brand" groceries you wouldn't hesitate to buy?

Post by steve-in-kville »

I thought about this a bit... the only thing my wife insists on buying name brand is dish soap and shampoo. Everything else is typically generic.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

The majority of our groceries come from Costco, Trader Joe's, Aldi, and local stores like Chinese grocers and a Polish Deli for a few items. None of these have "name brand" items. There is a C-Town supermarket within walking distance that serves emergency duty and I think we mostly get house branded stuff.
1 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

I used to be more particular about brands for things but lately reading the label is more important as some brand names have ingredients/additives that I can't eat or do not want to eat, so it's more about what is on the label. However- dish detergent and dishwasher detergent I still use name brand- have tried other and for me it does make a difference. Also for flour- mainly because can't find what I actually want in anything but the brand name.
Need to add, since becoming gluten free I do use name brand pasta as it really is better than others.
1 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Where I work, we do a lot of private label. We put product in the bag for national brands, and also store brands. Sometimes it is exactly the same product. Some times it is not.

For many years, I diligently bought store brand food, almost exclusively to save money. And also because I suspected that there was no discernable differences, only at best ethereal or technical differences that the normal person could not discern. I didn't want to waste money on brands. The day came when I realized, while in the cold cereal aisle, that I was in a financial position where I could buy name brand cereal and groceries, and it would not change any of my other financial activities at all. That realization was an interesting experience.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

We live very close to a Costco and I shop there for most staples.

I find that the Costco house brand (Kirkland Signature) is actually superior to most name brand products and there is nothing at all I wouldn't buy in Costco house brand format.

Probably the only thing we buy that isn't house brand is condiments like ketchup, mustard, soy sauce, tabasco sauce, etc. But we usually get those things name brand in bulk so nearly the same thing.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

I would hesitate to buy house brand pet food.

Mostly because I don't have any pets.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

ohio jones wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:46 pm I would hesitate to buy house brand pet food.

Buy it, and they will come.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

ohio jones wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:46 pm I would hesitate to buy house brand pet food.

The Costco house brand pet food is actually very highly rated. We've been feeding it to our dogs for years. https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food ... -dog-food/

And Wal-Mart's house brand called Pure Balance is also not bad but not quite as high rated as Costco. https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food ... -dog-food/

But they are both much higher rated than many name brands like Pedigree or Purina: https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food ... -food-dry/

Sometimes name brands are the worst choice.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

When it comes to bait, however, anything will do.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited