Good character that gets your immediate attention

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Good character that gets your immediate attention

Post by Sudsy »

What is an outstanding display of good character to you when you see it happening ?

Let's keep this just to consider good character of Christians.

For example - when a Christian is spoken to in a way that can easily be taken as a critical attack and yet they don't respond in the same way. Rather they appear to be overly nice and to be 'turning the other cheek' in their response. This gets my special attention.
2 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Good character that gets your immediate attention

Post by Grace »

When people ask intrusive questions about others and you know the intent is to gossip. And the response is, "that is not my story to tell".
5 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

When conversation goes easily into fellowship.
3 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Along the lines of communicating, people that see the good in people and/or situations are a rare breed.

Opposite of that, people that want to talk about others just for the sake of talking about others, and it's almost always negative. Big turn off.
4 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

When I hear of Christians out amongst unbelievers doing good deeds and I hear about it from an unbeliever. When an unbeliever says something like 'If anyone lives their beliefs, it is that person'. There are many unbelievers who are involved in good deeds and get the recognition from the world for them but when a believer does good deeds and these good deeds are recognized as a result of their faith in Christ, then I am curious as to what else in their life has caused the onlooker to make the connection to their good deeds to their faith.
3 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Grace wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:18 am When people ask intrusive questions about others and you know the intent is to gossip. And the response is, "that is not my story to tell".
A relative of mine has taken up the phrase: “ Not my circus, not my monkeys.” I simply say, “Talk to the person and if they want to tell their side, great. If not, respect their privacy.”

My favorite characteristic is that of a good listener who can also contribute to the conversation without grandstanding or trying to be the “smartest person in the room”. This person also does not feel the need to impel others to believe their POV.
Last edited by MaxPC on Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville

MaxPC wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:31 am
Grace wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:18 am When people ask intrusive questions about others and you know the intent is to gossip. And the response is, "that is not my story to tell".
A relative of mine has taken up the phrase: “ Not my circus, not my monkeys.” I simply say, “Talk to the person and if they want to tell their side, great. If not, respect their privacy.”

My favorite characteristic is that of a good listener who can also contribute to the conversation without grandstanding or trying to be the “smartest person in the room”.
Some years ago, I had lunch with someone that I knew of, but didn't really know all that well. We started telling "war stories" and I told him about a big financial loss I experienced. His reply? "Good! So did I! Now we can be friends!"

Completely caught me off guard.
2 x

Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

A Christian that senses that someone is just looking for a fight over their beliefs and so they let that person have the last word even if that could be taken by others as them losing the argument.
1 x
steve-in-kville

People that ask how you are or how your day is going because they actually want to know, not just to be polite. Another rarity.
2 x

MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Sudsy wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:50 am A Christian that senses that someone is just looking for a fight over their beliefs and so they let that person have the last word even if that could be taken by others as them losing the argument.
Indeed, the ability to walk away from these types of behaviors is a strength unto itself, especially if those behaviors are angry, sarcastic, condescending, or in any other manner cynical toward that good character.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God