Beauty Pageants, Homecoming, & Prom

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Beauty Pageants, Homecoming, & Prom

Post by MaxPC »

Started a new thread prompted by Jim’s comment.
JimFoxvog wrote: Ages ago, when I was in high school, many of us thought things like homecoming queens were a complete farce.
Our children and grandchildren think like Jim RE these popularity contests. How did these start? What is the point for holding these contests?

In my day there were debutante balls to introduce young ladies to society. Not every community had them though.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Beauty Pageants, Homecoming, & Prom

Post by steve-in-kville »

I never went to any of mine (I went to public school). So far, none of my older students have no shown interest in them as well.

Some quick research tells me that the American beauty pageant was started on September 8, 1921.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Another reason I’m thankful for the Christian day school.
These things don’t happen.
2 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Homecoming and prom aren't going anywhere. They are basically the fall and spring social events/dances of the school calendar.

But the associated popularity contests of electing homecoming and prom courts and queens are already fading away. Most kids really aren't into it and they are usually just a popularity contest for the already popular. At my current school, most kids don't pay the slightest attention.

They are still a much bigger deal in the south in places like Texas and Florida than they are in the rest of the country. Where you get scandals like mom's trying to rig the homecoming vote and so forth. For example: https://abc13.com/homecoming-queen-rigg ... /11223719/

0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Soloist wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:11 am Another reason I’m thankful for the Christian day school.
These things don’t happen.
Likewise.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Ken wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:16 pm Homecoming and prom aren't going anywhere. They are basically the fall and spring social events/dances of the school calendar.

But the associated popularity contests of electing homecoming and prom courts and queens are already fading away. Most kids really aren't into it and they are usually just a popularity contest for the already popular. At my current school, most kids don't pay the slightest attention.
That was how it was in my high school days. It was basically a contest between the already popular kids. The vast majority really didn't care. We just wanted a football game (which we rarely won anyway).
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!