social media, present company included

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: social media, present company included

Post by Soloist »

Josh wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:58 pm Reddit has subreddits that are very much social media, as they primarily are used to carry media like photos and videos. Other subreddits are basically a text based discussion. I would basically say I would judge something by its function, not its form.
So what is your objection or your church objection to social media?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Soloist wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:57 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:40 pm Yes, there are multiple views. I continue to hold my position that a text based discussion forum is not the same type of thing as MySpace, TikTok, Facebook, etc.
It’s quite obvious there is a difference between those and a forum. I am stating Mennonet is social media. I’m not saying Mennonet is the same as Facebook.
Well, there is social media on one hand and print media, such as newspapers and magazines, on the other. Discussion forums are a sort of hybrid; primarily text-based but with content sourced from a select social segment.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Soloist wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:01 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:58 pm Reddit has subreddits that are very much social media, as they primarily are used to carry media like photos and videos. Other subreddits are basically a text based discussion. I would basically say I would judge something by its function, not its form.
So what is your objection or your church objection to social media?
Promotion of photography and videos and associated vanity, selfies, immodesty, questionable content and so forth. Basically the fruit of Facebook, Twitter etc does not seem to be very good. (It is funny that I get my updates about what is going on on Twitter primarily from right wing people on MennoNet.)

A challenge is that a seemingly innocuous platform like WhatsApp can change and start promoting the above things. MN doesn’t seem to be doing this. The main videos are train videos. Selfies don’t seem to be a thing here.
1 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Josh wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:08 pmSelfies don’t seem to be a thing here.
3 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

What is a simple definition of social media?
What is Social Media? Social media refers to the means of interactions among people in which they create, share, and/or exchange information and ideas in virtual communities and networks. The Office of Communications and Marketing manages the main Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube accounts.

What is the main purpose of social media?
People are using social media for a variety of purposes. The four main uses of social media form the acronym SLIM: sharing, learning, interacting, and marketing.

What is social media vs media?
Traditional media means newspapers, magazines, radio, TV, etc. On the other hand, social media means social networking sites like Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc. However, the fact is different. Media implies a platform(s) on or using which people socialize.

What are benefits of social media?
In general, social media groups can provide:
a sense of belonging and community.
access to support from like-minded individuals.
an appreciation of different perspectives.
reduced isolation.
a monitored discussion environment.

Is social media the same as the internet?
Social media is an internet-based form of communication. Social media platforms allow users to have conversations, share information and create web content.
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

Social media creates relationships. We've had some of them. We've had some accusations of cheating dt friendships on md. I remember one kid who was in an unofficial relationship and he bonded w another female as well. Caused quite the stir. We've had accusations of folks interfering in real life relationships.
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:05 am Mennonet is different whereas anyone can find this place through a Google search and read the content posted here (like the spies from CAM :o ).
Or the spies from DMA and DKCM. 8-)
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

ohio jones wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:36 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:05 am Mennonet is different whereas anyone can find this place through a Google search and read the content posted here (like the spies from CAM :o ).
Or the spies from DMA and DKCM. 8-)
and SC
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

Josh wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:40 pm
Soloist wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:33 pm Then you should know that your view isn’t the only accepted view and it’s debated.
I have not built any social media platform but I have ran forums and managed a few websites.
Yes, there are multiple views. I continue to hold my position that a text based discussion forum is not the same type of thing as MySpace, TikTok, Facebook, etc.

Furthermore, I hold this position in spite of people who like to call me a hypocrite or say I am somehow being inconsistent with holding a church stance against social media. The simple fact of the matter is people in our church have long used discussion forums, listservs, e-mail discussion lists, and so on before social media was invented and then we did take an explicit stance against "social media", which doesn't include text based discussion.
If you’re basing it on ‘text based discussion’ then Twitter would not be social media either. But I do see your point about mennonet not having algorithms or a follower engagement dynamic.
0 x
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

AnthonyMartin wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:21 am The freedom to attack other people feel when the personal touch is missing is troubling. It find myself acting this way far more than I am ok with when it comes to social media.
It’s very easy to take on a combative tone online. I’ve been trying to check myself with regard to it, and reword posts frequently before hitting the submit button.

But the attacks I’ve seen on this site are one reason why I attempt to stay anonymous here. I don’t have the energy to deal with that.
1 x