The Chosen

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Jess77
Affiliation:

The Chosen

Post by Jess77 »

I didn't see this come up in a search so thought I would start a thread. If I missed it, feel free to close this one and/or combine.

For those of you who do watch some film, I wondered what your thoughts were on The Chosen series. For those who do not know what it is, here is a brief summary.

What would it be like to have been one of Jesus' followers when he walked on earth? That is the question that the series creator asks. Over the course of 3 seasons (So far), The Chosen creators have written the story of Jesus and his followers, first from scripture, and then where the scripture is silent, they have asked the question "Is this plausible?" to help fill in back stories to the disciples. While the story is not word-for-word the Bible and never claims to be scripture in any way, shape, or form, it does often use the Bible as its foundation and is often full of word-for-word scripture. The scripts are run past a Christian Bible professor, a catholic priest and a Messianic Jewish Rabbi for history and authenticity. The show is crowdfunded meaning that it is totally funded by donation. It is also free to watch online on their website www.thechosen.tv

What I have enjoyed the most about the show is all of the Jewish history and culture. Festivals I read about in scripture I never really understood until suddenly I see them on screen... festivals that Jesus would have absolutely taken part in because he was Jewish.

0 x
Jess77
Affiliation:

Re: The Chosen

Post by Jess77 »

0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

My wife and I just started watching this. Waiting on a rainy weekend to get through a few episodes.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I have been watching with my family. You should be prepared to laugh from time to time at the way Jesus is represented. Don't take it too seriously.
2 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

My wife and I watched a few episodes. I liked it. She thought it took too much liberty, going beyond what the text actually tells you, expressing what was sometimes very Western and modern emotion that we would have in the same situation. I think that's true, it's more like storytelling than like a straight telling of just what is in the text, it doesn't try to make you understand everything about relationships and emotions in Hellenistic Judaism, but I thought it very compelling and good. The clothing and houses and artifacts seem quite authentic.

It's like a sermon, but not about theology or ethics, more like a sermon on who Jesus is and how people responded to him. That's what I saw in the two episodes I have seen so far.
barnhart wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:06 pm I have been watching with my family. You should be prepared to laugh from time to time at the way Jesus is represented. Don't take it too seriously.
Well, that's true too. I think there is a lot of good in it, I think it is worth seeing, but there are also some things that don't seem accurate.
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Jess77
Affiliation:

Post by Jess77 »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:11 pm My wife and I watched a few episodes. I liked it. She thought it took too much liberty, going beyond what the text actually tells you, expressing what was sometimes very Western and modern emotion that we would have in the same situation. I think that's true, it's more like storytelling than like a straight telling of just what is in the text, it doesn't try to make you understand everything about relationships and emotions in Hellenistic Judaism, but I thought it very compelling and good. The clothing and houses and artifacts seem quite authentic.
If you get a chance, check out the Round table discussions on the website. Those are quite interesting as well.
0 x
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:11 pm My wife and I watched a few episodes. I liked it. She thought it took too much liberty, going beyond what the text actually tells you, expressing what was sometimes very Western and modern emotion that we would have in the same situation.
Yes. Jesus often sounds like a premillennial dispensationalist preaching penal substitutionary atonement.
3 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

barnhart wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:30 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:11 pm My wife and I watched a few episodes. I liked it. She thought it took too much liberty, going beyond what the text actually tells you, expressing what was sometimes very Western and modern emotion that we would have in the same situation.
Yes. Jesus often sounds like a premillennial dispensationalist preaching penal substitutionary atonement.
This is even worse than the already-negative report an acquaintance of mine gave me.
1 x
Nomad
Affiliation: Alien

Post by Nomad »

barnhart wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:30 pm
Probably why I would like it then. :D
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Chris wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:32 pm .. .. It wasn't just that my sins were so wicked that Jesus had to die for me.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN