The Chosen

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Jess77
Affiliation:

Re: The Chosen

Post by Jess77 »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:11 pm it's more like storytelling than like a straight telling of just what is in the text, it doesn't try to make you understand everything about relationships and emotions in Hellenistic Judaism, but I thought it very compelling and good. The clothing and houses and artifacts seem quite authentic.

It's like a sermon, but not about theology or ethics, more like a sermon on who Jesus is and how people responded to him. That's what I saw in the two episodes I have seen so far.
This is pretty much accurate. The creator of the show is not trying to retell the Bible. That has been done so many times before. Instead, he is filling out the stories of the disciples, sometimes using creative imagination to be sure. There are also life-lessons I have seen running throughout the seasons. Season 3 hits hard on the question people often ask "Why do bad things happen to good people" and it deals head-on with the misguided notion that believers are supposed to be protected from trials. They aren't. People in Jesus' day experienced many of the same things we experience today. Season 2 has a couple of episodes that deal with temptation and struggles from the past and forgiveness. Seeing them struggle where we struggle and seeing how they overcome touches the heart of people today. I have read a lot of accounts of people who were far away from God, who having watched the show, are suddenly finding themselves asking questions and seeking. I have heard of many people who are hungrily reading their Bibles to find the stories in scripture. God is using the show to open doors that have been closed to the gospel, and that is a good thing.
0 x
Jess77
Affiliation:

Post by Jess77 »

barnhart wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:30 pm Yes. Jesus often sounds like a premillennial dispensationalist preaching penal substitutionary atonement.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Jess77 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:16 am .. Season 3 hits hard on the question people often ask "Why do bad things happen to good people" and it deals head-on with the misguided notion that believers are supposed to be protected from trials. They aren't. ..
True. Jesus promised The Advocate (in His place) for this reason. He knew life on earth would be hard.
i’m thankful scriptures do not promise an easy life on earth. How much more painful that would be. Jesus promises His way out.

(i haven’t viewed or read about The Chosen, i have no idea if my comment resonates.)
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

“The Chosen”???

Post by MaxPC »

It is my understanding that this is a cinema film. Some acquaintances have been asking us repeatedly to go with them to see it. As Plain Catholics, we avoid cinema so have declined.

That said: what is your perspective on this movie and movies about Bible stories in general?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: “The Chosen”???

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:03 pm It is my understanding that this is a cinema film. Some acquaintances have been asking us repeatedly to go with them to see it. As Plain Catholics, we avoid cinema so have declined.

That said: what is your perspective on this movie and movies about Bible stories in general?
My understanding is it is a TV show streaming on religious streaming media services plus also streaming on NBC's services.

My opinion of such movies and TV shows is... quite low.
1 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

MaxPC wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:03 pm It is my understanding that this is a cinema film. Some acquaintances have been asking us repeatedly to go with them to see it. As Plain Catholics, we avoid cinema so have declined.

From what I understand, they are playing season 4 in the Cinema, never seen it or heard of it since you mentioned your wife watching it.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Soloist wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:15 pm

From what I understand, they are playing season 4 in the Cinema, never seen it or heard of it since you mentioned your wife watching it.
My wife did not watch it; neither have I. I started a thread on this topic but it seems to have been relocated here.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

That may have been the "Titanic" film that Max's wife was watching.
ETA actually Max did claim that his wife enjoyed the first installment of "The Chosen." Funny how stories change over time, isn't it.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

MaxPC wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:13 pm

My wife did not watch it; neither have I. I started a thread on this topic but it seems to have been relocated here.
Well now, aint that interesting.
MaxPC wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:38 pm
Soloist wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:24 pm
MaxPC wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:53 pm

My wife finally saw that movie with her sister at a friends' house during one of those "ladies' day" gatherings. She thought the movie was grade B at best and did not understand the appeal. The next film is really a series of films as I understand it, something called "The Chosen". They watched the first installment last month and my wife quite enjoyed it.
So plain Catholics watch movies?

DVDs. As adults we use our discernment. Parents choose for the children. There will be times the adults may watch something like "Titanic" with a non-Plain Catholic relative or friend and then discuss it afterwards. As long as the film does not have an horrific immorality in it, the PC adult may choose to watch and discuss it to help the other person understand the spiritual choices we face. There have been times though when the PC adults have excused themselves in the middle of a film and left when it was felt that the subject matter was too far gone.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

ken_sylvania wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:21 pm

That may have been the "Titanic" film that Max's wife was watching.
ETA actually Max did claim that his wife enjoyed the first installment of "The Chosen." Funny how stories change over time, isn't it.
That’s right; thank you for jogging the ancient memory. She just told me “you don’t remember?”
“No dearest, it has slipped my mind.”

We have watched DVDs on occasion but we do not go to the cinemas. The acquaintances want us to go with them to a cinema showing. Is it series 4? Not sure but that would not be something I would do.

I think I need a nap.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)