Sandwiches: butter or mayo?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

Butter or mayo? Something else?

Butter.
40%
Mayo for sure!
20%
The first two are okay, but I got better ideas and will explain.
40%

Total votes: 10

Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Re: Sandwiches: butter or mayo?

Post by Joy »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:01 am
Joy wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:22 pm Both. Unless it's a sweet sandwich like peanut butter and honey or raisins.
Raisins? On a sandwich?

I have so many questions....
No, IN the sandwich. They would fall off otherwise. :D
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Neto wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:04 am Never used butter until we started Bible translation work. How does THAT relate?!? Well, mayo is a spoilage danger. So all sandwiches that were being taken to the villages were made with butter.
Neto, I never made that connection before regarding butter, mayo and spoilage. It certainly makes sense.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

MaxPC wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:27 am
Neto wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:04 am Never used butter until we started Bible translation work. How does THAT relate?!? Well, mayo is a spoilage danger. So all sandwiches that were being taken to the villages were made with butter.
Neto, I never made that connection before regarding butter, mayo and spoilage. It certainly makes sense.
The thing that makes mayonnaise spoil is actually its contact with "pollutants" like meat. So, to keep it from spoiling without refrigeration, my wife would use a clean spoon to take out however much would be used. Then that was put on the table, and whatever was left would be thrown out. By doing this we were able to use out of the jar for 6 to 8 weeks. (Well, this might have actually been 'Salad Dressing', not real mayonnaise. I would have to ask my wife.) We never got sick from it, and my stomach is prone to that sort of thing.
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Neto wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:51 pm
MaxPC wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:27 am
The thing that makes mayonnaise spoil is actually its contact with "pollutants" like meat. So, to keep it from spoiling without refrigeration, my wife would use a clean spoon to take out however much would be used. Then that was put on the table, and whatever was left would be thrown out. By doing this we were able to use out of the jar for 6 to 8 weeks. (Well, this might have actually been 'Salad Dressing', not real mayonnaise. I would have to ask my wife.) We never got sick from it, and my stomach is prone to that sort of thing.
I am a complete novice about food matters, my wife is the expert. Now that you have pointed out these factors, I now see that the climate presents special challenges in terms of humidity, heat and refrigeration or lack thereof.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

QuietlyListening wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:50 pm Neither. Lettuce and tomato on many sandwiches or just lettuce. If it is a sub- some call them heroes and other names but oil and vinegar on it then. But skip the butter and mayo on the bread and also mustard.
I agree completely.

Of course, there's always schmalz ....
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Neto

Post by Neto »

Another sandwich hint:
If you want a tuna sandwich, don't use the type that is canned in oil. (The bread will suck out the oil, and it will be a real mess.)
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Neto wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:20 pm Another sandwich hint:
If you want a tuna sandwich, don't use the type that is canned in oil. (The bread will suck out the oil, and it will be a real mess.)
The same with sardine sandwiches. My mother always used fresh sardines grilled or pan fried instead of the canned.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I like freshly made mayo. Or the fancy bougie stuff made with avocado or coconut oil. The former obviously works best if the sandwich already has avocado on it, since it does impart a slight flavour.

Butter and ghee are of course good stuff, and they don't just taste good - they're good for you.
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

MaxPC wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:22 am
The same with sardine sandwiches. My mother always used fresh sardines grilled or pan fried instead of the canned.
Never had a sardine sandwich. We ate them with rice & beans, and farinha.

Sardines are great trail food, if you have farinha as well. And a large leaf available for the person who doesn't get the can. Left a sardine can hanging on a small tree along the trail about 5 hours walk from the village, and now it's a place reference name - "Neto-ka rata kawina". (An initial 'r' has the 'l' sound in Banawa. Meaning: "The place where Neto's can is hanging".) The Banawa man I was traveling with said to leave it there, so maybe it wasn't littering, at least not culturally. The oil is not wasted. Soak it up with farinha. Fat is a health food.
1 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Neto wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:39 am
MaxPC wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:22 am
Never had a sardine sandwich. We ate them with rice & beans, and farinha.

Sardines are great trail food, if you have farinha as well. And a large leaf available for the person who doesn't get the can. Left a sardine can hanging on a small tree along the trail about 5 hours walk from the village, and now it's a place reference name - "Neto-ka rata kawina". (An initial 'r' has the 'l' sound in Banawa. Meaning: "The place where Neto's can is hanging".) The Banawa man I was traveling with said to leave it there, so maybe it wasn't littering, at least not culturally. The oil is not wasted. Soak it up with farinha. Fat is a health food.
Your sardine can came in handy as a trail marker.:D
I agree with you that fat is a health food in the proper amounts. Full fat cheeses, butter, and fatty fish kept us alive and warm in my youth. Sardines grilled or fried were a less expensive protein source then. Any kind of fish would do if it was the day’s special.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)