The 'Know-it-All' Christian

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

The 'Know-it-All' Christian

Post by Sudsy »

This thread is to discuss how best to deal with a 'Know-it-All' Christian. I believe some of us may not realize just how we come across in our conversations as a 'Know-it-All'. I think there are things we can have strong convictions about but when we share them it can come across as this is a fact, the truth, and beyond question.

Leading phrases such as 'I believe' or 'It seems to me' or 'Personally speaking' or 'The way I see it is' or 'In my experience' or 'In my opinion' (and there are various other phrases leading into what is said) are some examples, I believe :) , are seldom used by a 'Know-it-All' type. Rather statements are made in a way that this is the truth, so listen up. This can be received as arrogance, lack of humility, prideful and may even squelch further conversation. Most people don't like any inference that they are wrong and/or stupid.

So, when you run across Christians who share in this manner, how do you think they should be responded to ?
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: The 'Know-it-All' Christian

Post by Josh »

Perhaps listen and understand their perspective and why they believe the way they do? The last thing I want to be doing is being busy trying to correct someone I just met because I think I'm right.

Of course, a setting where discussion and debate is encouraged is different (such as this forum itself). This is a place where people are encouraged to express their opinions and views and debate about such is welcomed. That is often not the case in many other social settings.

I myself do my best to avoid expressing scepticism when someone says something that is obviously not factual that they drop as "true", such as someone the other day who asserted that every married man in a church is automatically an elder according to the New Testament. I almost started to debate this but decided to instead to try to listen to what he was saying and understand his heart and perhaps the emotions involved in what he was saying.
1 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

I believe it was GK Chesterton who had some droll remark about people who lead with “I believe or I think”. I think his conclusion was the exact opposite of Sudsy’s.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I believe I agree with HK.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:19 pm I believe it was GK Chesterton who had some droll remark about people who lead with “I believe or I think”. I think his conclusion was the exact opposite of Sudsy’s.
So why would a 'Know-it-All' type attempt to soften or give allowance for other views by using these phrases ahead of their views ? Was he suggesting they were involved in some form of false humility ?
0 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Many times know-it-all people have a deeper personal issue, like insecurity or lack of confidence. To cover their insecurities they might become attention seeking, be narcissistic and have egotistical tendencies. It is very difficult to respond to such a person and if you do respond it should be done with kindness and tact. Sometimes attempting to understand where they are coming from helps to overlook their attitude.
1 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Grace wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:34 pm Many times know-it-all people have a deeper personal issue, like insecurity or lack of confidence. To cover their insecurities they might become attention seeking, be narcissistic and have egotistical tendencies. It is very difficult to respond to such a person and if you do respond it should be done with kindness and tact. Sometimes attempting to understand where they are coming from helps to overlook their attitude.
Thanks Grace. I have struggled to have a right attitude toward some Christians to sometimes understand just where they are coming from and know I need to be filled and walking in the Spirit to overcome any fleshly responses that are not with kindness and tact. I find it far easier to deal with 'Know-it-All' unsaved people than 'Know-it-All' believers.

Another way to look at it is 'but for the grace of God, there go I' and take a more compassionate attitude. I think that is more Christ like although Jesus was pretty hard on the Pharisees but then again, He was without sin and if anyone could cast stones, He could.
0 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Sudsy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:29 pm
HondurasKeiser wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:19 pm I believe it was GK Chesterton who had some droll remark about people who lead with “I believe or I think”. I think his conclusion was the exact opposite of Sudsy’s.
So why would a 'Know-it-All' type attempt to soften or give allowance for other views by using these phrases ahead of their views ? Was he suggesting they were involved in some form of false humility ?
I’ll try to find the passage later
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

One of the hallmarks of GK Chesterton was his use of satirical humor. He used humor to great effect to highlight secular inconsistencies, especially those inconsistencies that still exist in secular culture today. I recommend reading his collected works.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Now I'm awfully curious what quote you are referring to.
0 x