IQ by religion

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
PetrChelcicky
Affiliation: none

IQ by religion

Post by PetrChelcicky »

Screen-Shot-2023-07-02-at-12.04.51-AM.png
Source: https://www.unz.com/isteve/iq-by-religion-2/
"The horizontal axis is IQ, with atheist moms averaging 109, followed by Jewish moms at 108. The vertical axis is the polygenic score for educational attainment."

I suppose that most of this meets our expectations: Jews are better than Unitarians who are better than Mainline Protestants who are better than Catholics who are better than Muslims who are better than Evangelical Protestants. I was surprised by the good results for Mormons /how come?) And of course I would have liked to see results for Mennonites.3
Last edited by PetrChelcicky on Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: IQ by religion

Post by Josh »

JWs, Muslims, and people who are part of historically black churches are some of the nicest people I’ve ever met. Perhaps lower IQ people are more pleasant to be around?

On the flip side, many atheists I’ve been around are quite acerbic and unpleasant to be around.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

1Co 1:25  Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
1Co 1:26  For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
1Co 1:27  But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
2 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

As the kids say, this seems highly sus. Also, how many 10 year olds have taken a comprehensive IQ test?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Sliceitup wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:49 pm As the kids say, this seems highly sus. Also, how many 10 year olds have taken a comprehensive IQ test?
Lots of them have. IQ testing of younger students is very common. Several diagnostic tools are available, including but not limited to the WISC-V and Stanford-Binet. For very young children as young as 3 1/2, the WPPSI may be used.

These are high quality instruments that have been in wide use since the 1940s, and updated every 20 years or so. Virtually any kind of IEP referral, etc. would involve an assessment with one of these instruments.

Back to the topic at hand, I have plenty of raw data that from a quick look would back up the claims made in the chart in the first post.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

PetrChelcicky wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:40 pmI was surprised by the good results for Mormons /how come?) And of course I would have liked to see results for Mennonites.3
Mormons are part of an elite culture that reaches into the highest echelons of society, including the CIA and FBI, the warrant officer corps, and the Republican Party’s candidates for President. They are analogous to Episcopalians of 100 years ago.

Mennonites are too small of a group to be statistically significant in these data sets. I checked the data I have from the 1940s-1970s and there aren’t any at all represented. Of my own (non representative due to how it was collected), Mennonites and plain people are about dead on average compared to the U.S. standardisation sample.
0 x
Sliceitup

Post by Sliceitup »

Josh wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:09 pm
Sliceitup wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:49 pm As the kids say, this seems highly sus. Also, how many 10 year olds have taken a comprehensive IQ test?
Lots of them have. IQ testing of younger students is very common. Several diagnostic tools are available, including but not limited to the WISC-V and Stanford-Binet. For very young children as young as 3 1/2, the WPPSI may be used.

These are high quality instruments that have been in wide use since the 1940s, and updated every 20 years or so. Virtually any kind of IEP referral, etc. would involve an assessment with one of these instruments.

Back to the topic at hand, I have plenty of raw data that from a quick look would back up the claims made in the chart in the first post.
I know the tools are available. We’ve had a few of our children tested. But they’re time consuming and expensive. I’m under the impression that schools aren’t doing them unless a parent requests it or, as you mentioned, if there’s an IEP. And most parents, including myself, don’t usually request it unless they expect some anomalies.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Sliceitup wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:44 pm I know the tools are available. We’ve had a few of our children tested. But they’re time consuming and expensive. I’m under the impression that schools aren’t doing them unless a parent requests it or, as you mentioned, if there’s an IEP. And most parents, including myself, don’t usually request it unless they expect some anomalies.
You said "how many 10 year olds have taken an IQ test?" The answer is that many thousands have - enough to formulate, for example, a standardisation sample. Overall, millions of people have taken IQ tests, and in many cases this data has been formally collected and aggregated for demographic studies.

I would disagree they are "time consuming". A typical IQ test takes under 2 hours. Cost is around $300. If a child is suspected of having development delays etc., they are an indispensable diagnostic tool.
0 x
Sliceitup

Post by Sliceitup »

Josh wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:04 pm
Sliceitup wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:44 pm I know the tools are available. We’ve had a few of our children tested. But they’re time consuming and expensive. I’m under the impression that schools aren’t doing them unless a parent requests it or, as you mentioned, if there’s an IEP. And most parents, including myself, don’t usually request it unless they expect some anomalies.
You said "how many 10 year olds have taken an IQ test?" The answer is that many thousands have - enough to formulate, for example, a standardisation sample. Overall, millions of people have taken IQ tests, and in many cases this data has been formally collected and aggregated for demographic studies.

I would disagree they are "time consuming". A typical IQ test takes under 2 hours. Cost is around $300. If a child is suspected of having development delays etc., they are an indispensable diagnostic tool.
Maybe it makes a difference when it’s part of a comprehensive evaluation. I know they did the WISC-5 and the KTEA-3 with our kids. It was usually a multi day process. A few hours each day. Or once it was 5 hours straight, but that was an older child.

I completely agree that they are an indispensable diagnostic tool. I was very grateful for them. We paid closer to $600 for the complete evaluation. The one time it was $800
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Sliceitup wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:20 pm Maybe it makes a difference when it’s part of a comprehensive evaluation. I know they did the WISC-5 and the KTEA-3 with our kids. It was usually a multi day process. A few hours each day. Or once it was 5 hours straight, but that was an older child.
A WISC-R which I am familiar with is closer to 1 hour. The WISC-V is even faster if the examiner has the latest software based one that uses a tablet.

Back in the 50s/60s some schools administered them to basically every student.
0 x