Study on Amish/COVID/Vaccine/ Death Rate

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Study on Amish/COVID/Vaccine/ Death Rate

Post by Josh »

Sliceitup wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:50 pm The diagnosis for my child was made after a years worth of testing by medical professionals. I didn’t say that teachers are qualified. But nonetheless, the teacher mentioned it, said this might not be the case, but I wanted to let you know.

It’s frustrating feeling like I need to justify the details of my life to you.
The fact it took years to notice makes me think this was probably a misdiagnosis. Autism is pretty obvious, but I have also noticed a lot of people claiming diagnoses of "autism" these days with someone who is actually quite normal, just perhaps a bit socially awkward.

I used to do physical therapy with an autistic boy who was around 7 or 8 back when I was the same age. He was legitimately autistic - didn't really speak at all. Somehow, in the present era all kinds of people claim to be autistic, often after "doctor shopping" for years until they can finally find a doctor or other who will give a diagnosis.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:54 pm
Sliceitup wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:50 pm The diagnosis for my child was made after a years worth of testing by medical professionals. I didn’t say that teachers are qualified. But nonetheless, the teacher mentioned it, said this might not be the case, but I wanted to let you know.

The fact it took years to notice makes me think this was probably a misdiagnosis. Autism is pretty obvious, but I have also noticed a lot of people claiming diagnoses of "autism" these days with someone who is actually quite normal, just perhaps a bit socially awkward.

I used to do physical therapy with an autistic boy who was around 7 or 8 back when I was the same age. He was legitimately autistic - didn't really speak at all. Somehow, in the present era all kinds of people claim to be autistic, often after "doctor shopping" for years until they can finally find a doctor or other who will give a diagnosis.
Not that this relates to the topic at hand. But there is a reason why it is called autism spectrum disorder (ASD) or autism spectrum condition (ASC)

What does the word "spectrum" mean to you, Josh?

And are you always willing to jump in with unwanted medical diagnoses after reading 3 lines of text that someone wrote?
Last edited by Ken on Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

Josh wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:54 pm

What do you propose that I do with this misdiagnosis then? Should I find another doctor that will tell me my child doesn’t have autism?

…or would that be doctor shopping?
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

It is so odd to me at the store i work, 3 peoe are Autistic, i wouldnt have known, 2 of them told me they are. One i found out from a customer who knows the boy. It did explain some things finding that out. But it was not the kind of symptoms that I was used to from others that I have known to be autistic which was much more obvious.

One of my co-workers commented how many autistic people we have working where I do and I do find it on myself why are 3 known, & who knows how many more. One pf them mentioned to me the spectrum. When he went into detail about some of his issues it educated me some more on the spectrum. So why are so many autistic? The first time i heard of its connection to vaccines was from a mother of an autistic boy probably 15 years ago or more
Last edited by Valerie on Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

I think it would be an interesting study to going to Holmes county as well. During the pandemic we went there weekly because it was the only place we knew where it was still normal. I only saw masks on Amish a couple of times. And there were signs on businesses saying we do not wear them and you can enter at your own risk.

As to actual deaths, it was widely known that covert was put on death certificates when there were other underlying causes
0 x
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

Valerie wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:49 pm It is so odd to me at the store i work, 3 peoe are Autistic, i wouldnt have known, 2 of them told me they are. One i found out from a customer who knows the boy. It did explain some things finding that out. But it was not the kind of symptoms that I was used to from others that I have known to be autistic which was much more obvious.

One of my co-workers commented how many autistic people we have working where I do and I do find it on myself why are 3 known, & who knows how many more. One pf them mentioned to me the spectrum. When he went into detail about some of his issues it educated me some more on the spectrum. So why are so many autistic? The first time i heard of its connection to vaccines was from a mother of an autistic boy probably 15 years ago or more
Yeah there are a lot of things I didn’t know either. And then it also looks different in girls, but for years most people have only really known the symptoms that are more common in boys.

I’m fairly convinced that it’s largely hereditary. There may be another component but there are a lot of people who are in their thirties and after their child gets diagnosed they end up also being diagnosed. I don’t think I have it, but I have a lot of similar issues. And learning more about the spectrum has helped me better understand myself.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Valerie wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:52 pm As to actual deaths, it was widely known that covert was put on death certificates when there were other underlying causes
So then - are you saying that they failed to do it covertly, since it was widely known?
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Valerie wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:52 pm I think it would be an interesting study to going to Holmes county as well. During the pandemic we went there weekly because it was the only place we knew where it was still normal. I only saw masks on Amish a couple of times. And there were signs on businesses saying we do not wear them and you can enter at your own risk.

As to actual deaths, it was widely known that covert was put on death certificates when there were other underlying causes
We have a lot of data from Holmes County already. And from every other county in the US for that matter.

The overall COVID death rate in Holmes county (430 per 100,000) which was 20% higher than the state of Ohio (360 per 100,000) and 26% higher than that of the nation as a whole (342 per 100,000).

If you want to compare further, Holmes County's death rate was over 2-times higher than my own state of Washington (206 per 100,000).

Another rural area with very high Amish population is Mifflin County PA where the COVID death rate was much higher still than even Holmes County at 659 per 100,000 which is almost 2-times higher than the national average and 3.2-times higher than the state of Washington.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... cases.html
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Ken wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:47 pm
Valerie wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:52 pm I think it would be an interesting study to going to Holmes county as well. During the pandemic we went there weekly because it was the only place we knew where it was still normal. I only saw masks on Amish a couple of times. And there were signs on businesses saying we do not wear them and you can enter at your own risk.

We have a lot of data from Holmes County already. And from every other county in the US for that matter.

The overall COVID death rate in Holmes county (430 per 100,000) which was 20% higher than the state of Ohio (360 per 100,000) and 26% higher than that of the nation as a whole (342 per 100,000).

If you want to compare further, Holmes County's death rate was over 2-times higher than my own state of Washington (206 per 100,000).

Another rural area with very high Amish population is Mifflin County PA where the COVID death rate was much higher still than even Holmes County at 659 per 100,000 which is almost 2-times higher than the national average and 3.2-times higher than the state of Washington.

Interesting. Since they did not put into practice the CDC mandates nor the vaccine, one would think the whole county would have been wiped out.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Valerie wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:26 am
Ken wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:47 pm

Interesting. Since they did not put into practice the CDC mandates nor the vaccine, one would think the whole county would have been wiped out.
Why would one think that?

COVID is deadly but not that deadly. It isn't the Black Death. Areas where the population took all precautions such as high rates of vaccination had very low rates of COVID deaths. Areas that took little or no precautions had higher (but still low) rates of COVID deaths. At an individual level your chances of dying of COVID were pretty low regardless. But at an aggregate level across the entire population the numbers add up to hundreds of thousands.

For example, if the COVID death rate in the entire US was as high as Holmes County that would have meant nearly 300,000 additional COVID deaths in the US. Small differences add up.
0 x