Fuel economy and range

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Fuel economy and range

Post by RZehr »

Today I discovered that I can drive 1,059.1 miles on one tank of fuel.
Truck: 2022 Ford F150 pickup, crew cab, 4x4, 325 horsepower, 400 pounds of torque, all standard equipment, 2.7 liter.

Topped off my fuel tank with 37* gallons of premium gasoline, no additives. Put it in Eco mode, and drove very slowly and carefully, over the mountains and through the hills five times. No air conditioning, or speeding, or cruise controlor idling. Finally ran it out of gas along the road. I had a two gallon container of fuel with me in the bed of the truck.

Went 1,059.1 miles on one tank of fuel, averaged 28.77 miles per gallon (computer says 29.5).
After the pickup said 0 miles to empty, it went another 135.7 miles on 0. Filled it up, and now the computer says that I am 999 miles to empty.

I personally filled up the tank for the test. Filled it until it was dribbling out top. When I refilled, being at a station in Oregon where the attendant must fill you up, they only got it 34.8 gallons. I think if I had filled it, I could have got in .2 gallons more.
3 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Fuel economy and range

Post by Soloist »

Today your fuel pump hates you :rofl:
2 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:07 pm Today I discovered that I can drive 1,059.1 miles on one tank of fuel.
Truck: 2022 Ford F150 pickup, crew cab, 4x4, 325 horsepower, 400 pounds of torque, all standard equipment, 2.7 liter.

Topped off my fuel tank with 37* gallons of premium gasoline, no additives. Put it in Eco mode, and drove very slowly and carefully, over the mountains and through the hills five times. No air conditioning, or speeding, or cruise controlor idling. Finally ran it out of gas along the road. I had a two gallon container of fuel with me in the bed of the truck.

Went 1,059.1 miles on one tank of fuel, averaged 28.77 miles per gallon (computer says 29.5).
After the pickup said 0 miles to empty, it went another 135.7 miles on 0. Filled it up, and now the computer says that I am 999 miles to empty.

I personally filled up the tank for the test. Filled it until it was dribbling out top. When I refilled, being at a station in Oregon where the attendant must fill you up, they only got it 34.8 gallons. I think if I had filled it, I could have got in .2 gallons more.
Nice! Sounds like a really good truck. That's magnitudes better than say 20 years ago or more. Do you think using premium gas makes any difference? Or does Ford require it for that truck?

I've never run any of my vehicles dry just to see how far they can go when the computer says 0 miles till empty. But I've always wondered what the actual range is. I sort of recall hearing that it is supposed to be hard on your fuel injectors and fuel pump.

Don't you have that big Indian-run truck stop there in your town that does self-serve?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I try to squeeze 220 miles out of a tank on my F-150.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Enjoy it while gas ranges are still legal.
2 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:23 pm Nice! Sounds like a really good truck. That's magnitudes better than say 20 years ago or more. Do you think using premium gas makes any difference? Or does Ford require it for that truck?

I've never run any of my vehicles dry just to see how far they can go when the computer says 0 miles till empty. But I've always wondered what the actual range is. I sort of recall hearing that it is supposed to be hard on your fuel injectors and fuel pump.

Don't you have that big Indian-run truck stop there in your town that does self-serve?
I normally run ethanol free gasoline in this truck, because I fuel up at the CFN card lock pump. I don’t use the new Indian truck stop.
Ford doesn’t require ethanol free, but it does seem to help with the fuel economy. But I use regular ethanol infused gas for my personal vehicles.

I now filled the F150 with regular gas with ethanol, and am going to drive it normally and see how that works out.
1 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Josh wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:35 pm I try to squeeze 220 miles out of a tank on my F-150.
A big fuel tank is wonderful. What year is yours?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:02 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:35 pm I try to squeeze 220 miles out of a tank on my F-150.
A big fuel tank is wonderful. What year is yours?
The tank's plenty large... it's a 2001.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Our old motorhome was 30 feet on a Ford 350; we bought it used and it was a 1990 model. If I remember correctly the fuel tank held 38 gallons. The living quarters added quite a bit of weight to it but we still managed to get 22 mpg on the highways. I did not drive fast nor accelerate quickly. I used the air conditioner. I changed the oil every 3500 miles and maintained the transmission frequently.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

MaxPC wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:04 am Our old motorhome was 30 feet on a Ford 350; we bought it used and it was a 1990 model. If I remember correctly the fuel tank held 38 gallons. The living quarters added quite a bit of weight to it but we still managed to get 22 mpg on the highways. I did not drive fast nor accelerate quickly. I used the air conditioner. I changed the oil every 3500 miles and maintained the transmission frequently.
Correction: it was a 1999 model. I seem to be hitting or missing the keys lately.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God