The 2023 Stanley Cup

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

The 2023 Stanley Cup

Post by Sudsy »

I suspect there are few here that follow professional sports but it is one of my worldly past times.

To anyone that follows pro hockey, what did you think of the Stanley Cup playoffs this year that the Las Vegas Golden Knights won ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: The 2023 Stanley Cup

Post by Josh »

I heard that the two teams competing of the Cup are both from places where it is boiling hot most of the year. In my opinion, hockey belongs to cold-weather places, not Nevada and Florida.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:01 pm I heard that the two teams competing of the Cup are both from places where it is boiling hot most of the year. In my opinion, hockey belongs to cold-weather places, not Nevada and Florida.
I have played old timer hockey as far south as Myrtle Beach and Nashville and quite enjoyed being able to play both golf and hockey on the same days.

And I watched a pro hockey, NHL game, in Dallas once where we went to the game in summer wear which was pretty nice. There is even a hockey league in Saudi Arabia and Egypt.

Curling is another ice surface sport I played in and it has rinks all over the world too.
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

I have friends who watch sports on telly and the computer. One of them wryly calls hockey a "pub fight on ice". I would not know as we do not attend sports events. If I were to attend one, it would be curling. It is non-violent and even the professionals act in a courteous manner, congratulating the other teams.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

MaxPC wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:36 pm I have friends who watch sports on telly and the computer. One of them wryly calls hockey a "pub fight on ice". I would not know as we do not attend sports events. If I were to attend one, it would be curling. It is non-violent and even the professionals act in a courteous manner, congratulating the other teams.
Yes, in curling many of us recognize and congratulate an opponent on a good shot. We thank each other for the game once play has ended and the tradition is the winning team buys the losing team the first round of drinks. For old timer bonspiels (tournaments) every team receives a prize (usually packaged meat) with the winning team getting first selection and the other teams select in order of their performance.

We had a men's hockey league that drew a full house in our town years ago and it did become a 'pub fight on ice' and entertainment that the town would talk about throughout the week. However, there is no room for this in old timer hockey and if it happens, very rare, those involved are tossed out of the game.

One of my fun memories is when two guys on our old timer team got into a fight with each other on the bench (these two fought lots in their younger years). The poor referee didn't know just what to do and tossed them both out of the game. What made it even funnier is after they had showered they came back to watch the end of the game with their arms around each other. This had the crowd in a big laugh and these two guys were often reminded of this when story times broke out.
1 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

We have college baseball on the TV in the lunchroom at work I'll watch baseball sooner than golf.

I do work with some hardcore hockey fans, though, so I hear about it.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!