Lester's concoctions and spewing

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Lester's concoctions and spewing

Post by lesterb »

The wilted grass growing along the rail fence that surrounded the old graveyard bore testimony to the day’s pressing heat. Soon the sun would sink out of sight in the west, and even now a quiet breeze had sprung up, bringing a measure of relief. Except for the twittering of some sparrows, and the mournful cry of a mourning dove, nothing disturbed the quiet sleep of those buried in the depths of the serenity. Except for the raw wound close to the fence, partially concealed with fresh soil, there was no evidence of the somber ceremony that had taken place in the old graveyard that day; and no reminder of the swarming crowd of people who had witnessed it.

But a sensitive onlooker, had there been one, might have sensed that something was not quite right in this resting place of the dead. The breeze was picking up as the sun sank lower, and it began to moan eerily through the willow trees in the fence row. The shadows cast by the bare branches of several half dead oak trees crept slowly across the graveyard towards the fresh grave. Like the talons of an unseen predator intent on its prey, they inched closer, and closer, as the sun sank in the west.

The unseen onlooker, had there been one and had he been very sensitive, might even have felt a subtle but increasing tension as the relentless shadows finally touched the grave, then gradually overran it.

Who was buried there?
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Re: Lester's concoctions and spewing

Post by silentreader »

lesterb wrote:The wilted grass growing along the rail fence that surrounded the old graveyard bore testimony to the day’s pressing heat. Soon the sun would sink out of sight in the west, and even now a quiet breeze had sprung up, bringing a measure of relief. Except for the twittering of some sparrows, and the mournful cry of a mourning dove, nothing disturbed the quiet sleep of those buried in the depths of the serenity. Except for the raw wound close to the fence, partially concealed with fresh soil, there was no evidence of the somber ceremony that had taken place in the old graveyard that day; and no reminder of the swarming crowd of people who had witnessed it.

But a sensitive onlooker, had there been one, might have sensed that something was not quite right in this resting place of the dead. The breeze was picking up as the sun sank lower, and it began to moan eerily through the willow trees in the fence row. The shadows cast by the bare branches of several half dead oak trees crept slowly across the graveyard towards the fresh grave. Like the talons of an unseen predator intent on its prey, they inched closer, and closer, as the sun sank in the west.

The unseen onlooker, had there been one and had he been very sensitive, might even have felt a subtle but increasing tension as the relentless shadows finally touched the grave, then gradually overran it.

Who was buried there?
The way I feel right now, it was "Truth".
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

lesterb wrote:The wilted grass growing along the rail fence that surrounded the old graveyard bore testimony to the day’s pressing heat. Soon the sun would sink out of sight in the west, and even now a quiet breeze had sprung up, bringing a measure of relief. Except for the twittering of some sparrows, and the mournful cry of a mourning dove, nothing disturbed the quiet sleep of those buried in the depths of the serenity. Except for the raw wound close to the fence, partially concealed with fresh soil, there was no evidence of the somber ceremony that had taken place in the old graveyard that day; and no reminder of the swarming crowd of people who had witnessed it.

Who was buried there?
this must be prose poetry. beautiful content and writing. :)
silentreader wrote: The way I feel right now, it was "Truth".
the world often seems bleak these days.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Ok, I am ready for the next chapter.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I don't know who was buried there. Is the one freshly buried included with the rest which are enjoying quiet, serene sleep?
Most people are buried in a somber ceremony. Not sure if that is a good clue. There is a swarming crowd, so it wasn't an unknown person, but not real helpful either. And yet something is not quite right? Seems all normal to me. Or am I simply not sensitive enough?

The increasing tension sounds like something is going to happen. Is the person going to rise from the dead?

Or was it a hurt that is not forgiven? Has the cat been buried with the tail out?
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

appleman2006 wrote:Ok, I am ready for the next chapter.
That was the prologue. Would you like the Introduction, the Preface, the Foreword, the Preamble or the Opening?
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

lesterb wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:Ok, I am ready for the next chapter.
That was the prologue. Would you like the Introduction, the Preface, the Foreword, the Preamble or the Opening?
.. yes, please. :)
a title?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

Sylvester’s
Journal…

Introduction

This book takes place in the 1870’s in a large Mennonite community in the eastern part of North America, probably either in Ontario or Pennsylvania. Spiritually, the Mennonite Church was in a very low period during this time. They considered the Methodists to be their spiritual enemies, since some of the more spiritually minded Mennonite younger families had gone over to them. This book reflects this scenario, and is not necessarily representative of the beliefs of the Mennonite Church of today. I have bent that a little in places, to leave readers with some answers for questions they might be facing today, but in general, I have tried to stick to this.

In some cases, terminology has changed from then until now. For instance, the term “new birth” was unknown, per se, in those times. But the concept wasn’t, though it was viewed more as something that one grew into, rather than the impulsive, revival meeting response type of conversion experience common in the Methodist settings of the time. Even today, one may meet older people with Old Order Mennonite background who, though they are obviously Christians, cannot tell you the day or the hour that they decided to follow Jesus.

The idea of a confessional journal, as portrayed in this book, will be a little strange to most readers. But it did happen, mostly in small offshoots of the mainstream Mennonites, like the Reformed Mennonites.

This book is fiction. (Any similarity to any living person is coincidental and unintended.) But, even in today’s church setting, people do go astray. Some of these people try to hide their sin. And hidden sin always has repercussions. This is true not only of the person committing them, but of their family, friends, and church. Hopefully, I can show you some of these repercussions in this book.
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

Sylvester Martin
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

I certainly am interested in this book. Let me know when it will be available. I think it will be a very valuable aid in helping people understand an era that has largely been forgotten.
0 x