Christian Fads

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: Christian Fads

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:I'd be okay with movies like Matthew, the Jesus film, and a few others a bit more obscure like one that attempts to dramatise Acts. I felt The Passion focused an awful lot on the message of Jesus being that he took the punishment for sin, which I don't think is the good news, so I don't really like it.

Ultimately, I don't think movies are much of an evangelistic tool to a modern, media-soaked culture. They need to experience something different - such as Christian love of the brethren for one another.
Hmm, the latter can be much like the former too often.
I find the movies you mentioned to be lacking in many things. I thought the good news was at least in part about Jesus dying for our sin.
"We preach Christ, and him crucified..." was what one of the Apostles said.
1 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Wade wrote:
Did you see "The Passion"?
Many years ago I was up one night and couldn't sleep. So I watched this movie. I wept.

Shortly after I accepted Christ...

We don't watch or encourage watching anything now but it was helpful when I was carnal.
Thank you, Wade for your testimony. I've heard others express similar experiences. Your witness is an encouragement and reminder that God continually seeks to bring us to Him.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Are y'all running out of fads to list? :P

And George,
The opinions expressed above are not held by all here on MN
Bear in mind, that goes for many things people have listed thus far. :wave:
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Heirbyadoption wrote:Are y'all running out of fads to list? :P

And George,
The opinions expressed above are not held by all here on MN
Bear in mind, that goes for many things people have listed thus far. :wave:
Tattoos seem to be a big fad in some evangelical circles now!
While we are on haberdashery, what about piercings?
The Scholfield Reference bible is a fad that has only clung in the very most conservative of Dispensationalist camps.
Can the beard with no mustache be considered a fad of sorts? It seems to come and go in some circles.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
ragpicker
Affiliation: Mennobapticostal

Post by ragpicker »

gcdonner wrote:The Scholfield Reference bible is a fad that has only clung in the very most conservative of Dispensationalist camps.
It was banned by name in the church standards I grew up with.
0 x
Embrace the lonely road.
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

ragpicker wrote:
gcdonner wrote:The Scholfield Reference bible is a fad that has only clung in the very most conservative of Dispensationalist camps.
And well it should have been, but unfortunately, many Mennonites still follow the Dispensational model of eschatology.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

gcdonner wrote:
ragpicker wrote:
And well it should have been, but unfortunately, many Mennonites still follow the Dispensational model of eschatology.
You figure that's one of the strange wells that too many Christians have been drinking from?
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

ken_sylvania wrote: You figure that's one of the strange wells that too many Christians have been drinking from?
Yes, I do, as it confounds NT theology, imo. According to the NT there is only one "chosen people" and those are they that are in Christ, no matter what ethnic, religious or cultural background. There is only One Way and His name is Jesus, don't you agree?
Dispensen-sationalism supports Zionism and encourages Judaism, even to the point of supporting the rebuilding of another temple in Jerusalem. Where is that found in scripture? We need to evangelize the Jews, the same as we need to evangelize Mohammedans and pagans, not encourage them in their ignorance and error, don't you think?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I carry a Scofield Bible which once belonged to my great grandmother. The notes in it can be comically bad in some places.

I think the Bible reads best without commentary - and instead for additional insight seeking it in a community of other believers to help discern the text.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

gcdonner wrote:We need to evangelize the Jews, the same as we need to evangelize Mohammedans and pagans, not encourage them in their ignorance and error, don't you think?
Absolutely! I've never actually read in the Schofield Bible at all - been warned by enough people I trust that I haven't decided to buy one.
0 x