Re: Christian Fads

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Speaking in tongues.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Wayne in Maine wrote:Speaking in tongues.
Quite a long-lived fad, as Paul spent a lot of time dealing with it in 1 Corinthians.
0 x
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

JimFoxvog wrote:
Quite a long-lived fad, as Paul spent a lot of time dealing with it in 1 Corinthians.
Speaking in unknown languages seems to have ceased with the Apostolic age. Glossolalia (modern tongues speaking) traces its origins to the Azuza Street "revival" in 1906. I call it a fad because almost every church denomination has practitioners and it tends to pop up in popular religious movements (the Toronto Blessing, The Jesus Freaks, Catholic Charismatic Renewal) with regularity.
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Wayne in Maine wrote:
JimFoxvog wrote:
Speaking in unknown languages seems to have ceased with the Apostolic age. Glossolalia (modern tongues speaking) traces its origins to the Azuza Street "revival" in 1906. I call it a fad because almost every church denomination has practitioners and it tends to pop up in popular religious movements (the Toronto Blessing, The Jesus Freaks, Catholic Charismatic Renewal) with regularity.
The opinions expressed above are not held by all here on MN...
I guess we could call it a fad in the same vein as Anabaptists? Actually tongues speaking has been going on consistently through the ages, so it outdistances the Anabaptist movement...or beards without mustaches...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

gcdonner wrote:
Wayne in Maine wrote:
JimFoxvog wrote: Quite a long-lived fad, as Paul spent a lot of time dealing with it in 1 Corinthians.
The opinions expressed above are not held by all here on MN...
I guess we could call it a fad in the same vein as Anabaptists? Actually tongues speaking has been going on consistently through the ages, so it outdistances the Anabaptist movement...or beards without mustaches...
The Pew Research center has determined that at present over a quarter of Christians worldwide (584 million of 2 billion) are Charismatic and Pentecostals. I don't see any indication that historically 1/4 of all Christians consistently spoke in tongues. From the 2'nd century to the 20th there were rare and obscure reports of the phenomena. Since 1907 it has grown in some areas and has been diminishing in others, was never in history as prominent as in the 20th century. That sounds like a fad to me.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

gcdonner wrote:Visualization
The shepherding movement
Bill Gothard
Denny Kenniston
What is "visualization"?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

KingdomBuilder wrote:What is "visualization"?
You've probably heard of "name it and claim it." Visualization is "see it and be it."
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
gcdonner wrote:Visualization
The shepherding movement
Bill Gothard
Denny Kenniston
What is "visualization"?
There was a movement in the 80s-90s that focused on visualizing your concepts, even visualizing Jesus and if you did it long enough and well enough then your visualization would begin to interact with you. OJ put it pretty succinctly I'd say. It was a part of the Charismatic movement.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Wayne in Maine wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
Wayne in Maine wrote: The Pew Research center has determined that at present over a quarter of Christians worldwide (584 million of 2 billion) are Charismatic and Pentecostals. I don't see any indication that historically 1/4 of all Christians consistently spoke in tongues. From the 2'nd century to the 20th there were rare and obscure reports of the phenomena. Since 1907 it has grown in some areas and has been diminishing in others, was never in history as prominent as in the 20th century. That sounds like a fad to me.
"Without faith it is impossible to please God..."
Nobody is making you believe it, but you will never prove it or disprove it any more than you can the born-again experience or any spiritual phenomenon. As long as you view it only from a "scientific" perspective, it will never be real for you. That is your choice.
Paul said to desire spiritual gifts...'nuff said.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

ohio jones wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:What is "visualization"?
You've probably heard of "name it and claim it." Visualization is "see it and be it."
Good link there. I don't listen to a wide variety of online teachers, but the only one I've ever heard mention things along those lines would be Greg Boyd.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do