Christian Fads

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Christian Fads

Post by Josh »

One of the things I'm really glad about is that Christianity wasn't anything like it was portrayed to me in "Christian" movies are other cultural artefacts like "Christian" music and youth pastors rapping for Jesus
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:One of the things I'm really glad about is that Christianity wasn't anything like it was portrayed to me in "Christian" movies are other cultural artefacts like "Christian" music and youth pastors rapping for Jesus
But that is a matter of personal perspective and idealism, not a general fact. There are many others who appreciate those things (not necessarily myself).
I am interested to see, "God's not dead" and evaluate it from my own perspective. (I borrowed the video from one of my children)
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Before I was a Christian I saw some such films and they really just turned me off more from the faith. But I've found I've got a different thought process, so maybe my assessment isn't a fair one to put out like I did.
These "Christian" movies turn me off and I'm a Christian, so it is not surprising to me that it had this effect on you as well.
My observation is that the people who like these movies are those who also enjoy rallies of like minded people. (think Trump rallies, Kingdom Christian rallies, etc.)

This sums up some of my thoughts about "God's not Dead" and similar movies.
https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment ... t-religion

Some parts of this article resonate with me as well.
http://www.churchleaders.com/outreach-m ... -suck.html
As a result, Christian films take place in some kind of alternate reality in which... no one gets angry, no one really struggles, and certainly no one struggles with sin. It’s like a big ball of cotton candy; sugary, sweet, pink and fluffy.

How about a film that sells Jesus as the King and nothing less. A film that demonstrates our need for Him, actually everyone’s need, and captures (as best as humanly possible) the power of His love. ... That’s the movie I want to see and no doubt many others would too.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Ernie wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:Before I was a Christian I saw some such films and they really just turned me off more from the faith. But I've found I've got a different thought process, so maybe my assessment isn't a fair one to put out like I did.
These "Christian" movies turn me off and I'm a Christian, so it is not surprising to me that it had this effect on you as well.
My observation is that the people who like these movies are those who also enjoy rallies of like minded people. (think Trump rallies, Kingdom Christian rallies, etc.)

As a result, Christian films take place in some kind of alternate reality in which... no one gets angry, no one really struggles, and certainly no one struggles with sin. It’s like a big ball of cotton candy; sugary, sweet, pink and fluffy.

How about a film that sells Jesus as the King and nothing less. A film that demonstrates our need for Him, actually everyone’s need, and captures (as best as humanly possible) the power of His love. ... That’s the movie I want to see and no doubt many others would too.
i almost never view anything labeled a Christian movie, not in my life. they do not attract me. all the drama and noise. too much for me.

however, i have enjoyed a number of documentary type (videos?) ..
most recently, and, i have not viewed all 6 episodes:
Ancient Roads
http://www.christtoconstantine.com/

i've never known anyone else who has seen it.
i've viewed "The Great Missionary" 3 times, i think.
"Birth of a Faith" once, i think.
they contain so much information, so many visuals, i have to think about it.

for others, they may be 'way too elementary.

i don't expect to visit these locations.
walking-through these on location videos adds a lot to my brain.

not sure if these types of presentations are fads. i hope not.

This thread is now 8 pages! :shock:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Re movies: I agree, there is no appeal to me personally.

Do they have value as an evangelization tool? I've spoken with young people who've cut their teeth on mass media and they testify that the movies led them to investigate knowledge of Christ and/or back to church by role modeling perseverance, and seeking a better relationship with God and others.

Only God knows their hearts.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Ernie wrote:

Did you see "The Passion"?
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

gcdonner wrote:Did you see "The Passion"?
I did; I like to tell people that "The book was better" 8-) :lol:
Last edited by justme on Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: coding
1 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
gcdonner wrote: Did you see "The Passion"?
I did; I like to tell people that "The book was better" 8-) :lol:
haha. :P
on george's recommendation, i will figure out how to view it sometime. :D
Last edited by justme on Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: coding
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

gcdonner wrote:
Ernie wrote:

Did you see "The Passion"?
Many years ago I was up one night and couldn't sleep. So I watched this movie. I wept.

Shortly after I accepted Christ...

We don't watch or encourage watching anything now but it was helpful when I was carnal.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I'd be okay with movies like Matthew, the Jesus film, and a few others a bit more obscure like one that attempts to dramatise Acts. I felt The Passion focused an awful lot on the message of Jesus being that he took the punishment for sin, which I don't think is the good news, so I don't really like it.

Ultimately, I don't think movies are much of an evangelistic tool to a modern, media-soaked culture. They need to experience something different - such as Christian love of the brethren for one another.
0 x