Re: Christian Fads

Post by Neto »

Broadfall britches
Straight cut suits
suits & ties
black bumpers
coffee hour (please let it go away.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

I've got a couple of minutes, so I'll through one out that I've been thinking about. I sort of expect some feedback on this, but bear with me while I try to explain.

There are certain theological buzzwords or "buzz-ideas" that sweep through conservative circles. They stick around about 10-20 years, then drift off. When I was first part of a conservative church, it was Calvinism. Everything theologically off-color was calvinistic. Later, after Charity, it was Pietism, and off color ideas were all pietistic.

Today's buzz-idea in my opinion, is two kingdom theology. Now I'm a strong believer that there are two kingdoms and that these two kingdoms don't mesh or mingle. But this idea has been around as long and longer than Anabaptists have. It just hasn't been called that, and it seems like this is something new. It isn't - I think Paul believed it already and taught it. But now it has a fancy name and it seems that every idea has to be passed by two-kingdom experts for their approval.
0 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Neto - is it a fad if it sticks around for 100 years? Isn't one of the definitions of a fad its ephemeral nature?
0 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

ken_sylvania wrote:
Josh wrote:"Peacemaking"
Could you elaborate on what specifically you're referring to? My guesses are (1) the theory that Christians should be active in politics to push a "peace" agenda, or (2) tongue-in-cheek sarcastic reference to the past-time many Christians have of fighting with other Christians.
What do you think Jesus called us to when he said "blessed are the peacemakers?"
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

lesterb wrote:Later, after Charity, it was Pietism, and off color ideas were all pietistic.
Come to think of it, Charity in itself was a fad!!
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Home schooling
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Dan Z wrote:Neto - is it a fad if it sticks around for 100 years? Isn't one of the definitions of a fad its ephemeral nature?
Which one did you have in mind - coffee hour? 8-)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

lesterb wrote:I've got a couple of minutes, so I'll through one out that I've been thinking about. I sort of expect some feedback on this, but bear with me while I try to explain.

There are certain theological buzzwords or "buzz-ideas" that sweep through conservative circles. They stick around about 10-20 years, then drift off. When I was first part of a conservative church, it was Calvinism. Everything theologically off-color was calvinistic. Later, after Charity, it was Pietism, and off color ideas were all pietistic.

Today's buzz-idea in my opinion, is two kingdom theology. Now I'm a strong believer that there are two kingdoms and that these two kingdoms don't mesh or mingle. But this idea has been around as long and longer than Anabaptists have. It just hasn't been called that, and it seems like this is something new. It isn't - I think Paul believed it already and taught it. But now it has a fancy name and it seems that every idea has to be passed by two-kingdom experts for their approval.
How about "kingdom Christians"?
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Neto wrote:
Dan Z wrote:Neto - is it a fad if it sticks around for 100 years? Isn't one of the definitions of a fad its ephemeral nature?
Which one did you have in mind - coffee hour? 8-)
I hope they made a fresh pot every decade or so. :o
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Being "intentional"
Being "missional"
Being "relational"
Being "relevant"
0 x