Christian Fads

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: Christian Fads

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:I carry a Scofield Bible which once belonged to my great grandmother. The notes in it can be comically bad in some places.

I think the Bible reads best without commentary - and instead for additional insight seeking it in a community of other believers to help discern the text.
My first bible after I was born again was a Scholfield that had been my grandmother's bible...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Post by Chris »

mike wrote:Home schooling
Not sure how this was a Christian Fad. Homeschooling was the prime form of education through most of humanity. In reality, it was the private & public schools that are newer. Homeschooling also has become more popular since the 1980's so it's been a very very very long fad, if you can call it that.
0 x
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Post by Chris »

steve-in-kville wrote:
Josh wrote:
"Christian" movies like Fireproof

Fireproof is a great movie. Kinda a Christian version of Backdraft or Ladder 49.

(I was a volly firefighter and EMT for many years. I'm allowed to have such opinions!!)
These movies always bother me because I don't think that a Christian marriage should go to the "rocks" anyway. I know it needs conflict and climax for a movie, but seriously, it's supposed to be that a wife submits to her husband and the husband loves his wife as himself.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Chris wrote:
mike wrote:Home schooling
Not sure how this was a Christian Fad. Homeschooling was the prime form of education through most of humanity. In reality, it was the private & public schools that are newer. Homeschooling also has become more popular since the 1980's so it's been a very very very long fad, if you can call it that.
It has been a fad in certain instances. For example Conservative Anabaptist communities have run private schools for a number of years now. When the Charity Christian Fellowship movement impacted the conservative Mennonite church I was part of in the late 90s, homeschooling became a fad. If you were spiritual and cared about your children's well-being, you homeschooled. Sending them to a church-sponsored school was viewed somewhat as an abdication of responsibility on the part of a parent; or at best was a less-than-ideal option for people who for some reason were not able to homeschool.

Some of the people who home-schooled did reasonably well and others less so. Some of them came back to school after trying homeschooling for a time. I was a teacher in the school at the time, so I experienced it firsthand. And I must say that I have no problem with homeschooling as such. My wife and I homeschool all of our children, and plan to continue. Just explaining why home schooling fits in the list of fads in my opinion.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Admiral Acbon
Affiliation: BMA

Post by Admiral Acbon »

Reading through the entire thread two thoughts strike me- 1, I'm still not sure everyone understands what a fad is (some seem instead to be referring to 'trends'), and 2- A combination of impact + staying power of an activity determines whether it ends up being a fad, trend, etc.- not our level of distaste for same. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fad
0 x
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

Nobody yet mentioned:

Wild at Heart - John Eldredge

Currently, Reformed Theology seems to be a fad in many circles.

I would add events like "Passion" seem to be faddish. I might even dare to add going to "Asia" on short term mission trips...Or maybe attending conservative Bible schools...Or singing advanced acappella music...
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

joshuabgood wrote:Nobody yet mentioned:

You are not only kidding here. It was absent in SBC churches and schools 40 years ago, now most of the seminaries are reformed.

Think Al Moheler

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:

You are not only kidding here. It was absent in SBC churches and schools 40 years ago, now most of the seminaries are reformed.

Think Al Moheler

J.M.
How can it be a fad when it is 600 years old? It is just making inroads where it didn't use to be is all.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:

Think Al Moheler

J.M.
Or BMA
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

2017:
Admiral Acbon wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:19 pm Reading through the entire thread two thoughts strike me-
1, I'm still not sure everyone understands what a fad is (some seem instead to be referring to 'trends'),
and 2- A combination of impact + staying power of an activity determines whether it ends up being a fad, trend, etc.-

not our level of distaste for same. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fad
:P :wave:
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN