Camper - Brake Controller Installation

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Camper - Brake Controller Installation

Post by Neto »

Ken wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:36 pm
Neto wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:08 pm Ken,
Yeah, or a blowout. We had a tire blow out on the trailer at 70 MPH on I-70 on the way out to Oklahoma, with the Caravan on the trailer. I heard it, but since it was a dual axle trailer, I was able to just slow down w/o using the brakes much if at all, move off on the shoulder and continue on to the next exit at 40 to 45 MPH. (With the emergency flashers going, of course.)
The only other blowouts I've had were many years back, on the rear of my 62 Chrysler. Both were on two lane roads, and the car wasn't difficult to control at all. But this trailer is a single axle, so that might get a bit exciting.
Yeah, that's the other thing about trailers. People let their trailer tires get WAY too old. You almost never replace them when they are worn out, but when they have aged out and expired and the rubber has turned hard. Recipe for disaster. People pull trailers out of storage that have been there for 20 years and think they are good to go when there is still tread on the tires. Nope.
The blowout on the car hauler trailer was on the side that always faced the afternoon sun, the way that the owner parked it. On the trip back, the other tire on that side blew. There was no visible cracking on that tire, and it wasn't even very old. So I had to pay for two new 8-ply trailer tires on that "borrow me for free trailer 'rental'." I guess that's why people with motor homes keep the tires covered, if it sits outside.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.