38%
.... really no change in eating habits.
38%

Total votes: 13

steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Are you a stress eater?

Post by steve-in-kville »

When facing stress, do you overeat? Or just don't eat at all?

Vote & discuss.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Are you a stress eater?

Post by Neto »

I thought you were asking if you "eat stress", like thriving on it. Some do, and create stress for themselves to create more motivation, I guess. Not me. It tends to paralyze me.

Do you think there is a relationship between "multi-tasking" and the ability to work well under stress? If I get interrupted with something that the person thinks is really important when I am already working on a pressing matter, I find it very difficult to concentrate on either task.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

I’m a stress eater. I’m an emotional eater who uses food as a way to self-soothe when dealing with difficult emotions. I’m working on changing that.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
steve-in-kville

I am both. I will go all day without eating hardly anything. Then when it's all over, I'll consume the unhealthiest food imaginable.
0 x

Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Szdfan wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:21 pm I’m a stress eater. I’m an emotional eater who uses food as a way to self-soothe when dealing with difficult emotions. I’m working on changing that.

Same with me, and something I am attempting to change.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

My wife sees that I eat a healthy meal on a regular schedule; always has done. If stressed, I turn to prayer and have a conversation with my best mate: Jesus.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Grace wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:42 am
Szdfan wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:21 pm I’m a stress eater. I’m an emotional eater who uses food as a way to self-soothe when dealing with difficult emotions. I’m working on changing that.

Same with me, and something I am attempting to change.
I was diagnosed as a diabetic five years ago and haven't managed well. In April, I came down with bronchitis and became very sick to the point I ended up in the ER. It was a wake up call that I need to take care of myself or this will kill me. I've made some big changes -- I'm still making changes -- and while my numbers aren't where they need to be, they are much better. My doctor is very happy with my progress.

But this does mean that I have to find other ways to deal with my stress and negative emotions than eating.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

I have been known to stress eat. I try to catch myself and stop and I keep very little junk food in the house which helps and because of diet restrictions there is even less I can eat when stress eating which helps. I have little tricks that help me stop going back for food - sometimes.
It also depends on what the stress is. Some things have me eating and others - well, just can't eat.
1 x
steve-in-kville

Szdfan wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:26 pm
But this does mean that I have to find other ways to deal with my stress and negative emotions than eating.
Walking, my friend. Don't aim for distance, just time. Whenever I am in bad place, I go outside for a walk. My workplace has a large pond and I have been known to take a quick stroll around it, just to center myself. Provided the geese are not setting and over aggressive.... 8-)
2 x

Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:30 pm
Szdfan wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:26 pm
Walking, my friend. Don't aim for distance, just time. Whenever I am in bad place, I go outside for a walk. My workplace has a large pond and I have been known to take a quick stroll around it, just to center myself. Provided the geese are not setting and over aggressive.... 8-)
So when the geese are aggressive, does the walking turn into running?

I'm planning on starting exercise this summer. I have found people to keep me accountable.
0 x