Modern Day Constantine

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Modern Day Constantine

Post by ken_sylvania »

NY Mayor Adams Says He Was Given a Divine Message: "Talk About God"
When Mayor Eric Adams began to talk frequently about God a few months back — how God elevated him to lead New York City, how Mr. Adams implemented policy with a “godlike” approach, how the separation of church and state was misguided — his timing was no accident.

He was, he says, responding to the same divine voice he heard decades ago, the one that he says prophesied that he would become mayor on Jan. 1, 2022.
In February, for example, when he expressed disdain for the separation of church and state, Mr. Adams asserted that “when we took prayers out of schools, guns came into schools.”
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: Modern Day Constantine

Post by Valerie »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:15 am NY Mayor Adams Says He Was Given a Divine Message: "Talk About God"
When Mayor Eric Adams began to talk frequently about God a few months back — how God elevated him to lead New York City, how Mr. Adams implemented policy with a “godlike” approach, how the separation of church and state was misguided — his timing was no accident.

He was, he says, responding to the same divine voice he heard decades ago, the one that he says prophesied that he would become mayor on Jan. 1, 2022.
In February, for example, when he expressed disdain for the separation of church and state, Mr. Adams asserted that “when we took prayers out of schools, guns came into schools.”
What if instead of comparing him to Constantine which I don't necessarily see that connection but I understand how an Anabaptist might, may not see him as a fulfillment of what Romans 13 is conveying that one in government is a minister of God? Why would a Christian that wants to help society get back on track have to be compared to Constantine? There are a lot of Born again Christians that have felt that when they took prayer out of school we are seeing the consequences of it.
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Modern Day Constantine

Post by MaxPC »

Valerie wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:27 am
What if instead of comparing him to Constantine which I don't necessarily see that connection but I understand how an Anabaptist might, may not see him as a fulfillment of what Romans 13 is conveying that one in government is a minister of God? Why would a Christian that wants to help society get back on track have to be compared to Constantine? There are a lot of Born again Christians that have felt that when they took prayer out of school we are seeing the consequences of it.
Indeed. I also agree that the comparison to Constantine is not adequate. There have been many individuals throughout history, including in the current age who believe we need prayer to address the chaos of the culture. I certainly believe that prayer by many is needed.
Matthew 18
15 “If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. 16 But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every word may be confirmed by the evidence of two or three witnesses. 17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. 18 Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. 19 Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them.”
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God