In my day ....

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

In my day ....

Post by MaxPC »

A thread merely for the sharing memories; no argument nor debate is wanted nor needed.

In my day:
This was our version of "information searching": card catalogues and the stacks.

2 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: In my day ....

Post by Szdfan »

I'm an "elder millennial," which means I fall somewhere in between the millennials and Gen X. We were the transition generation between analog and digital. I remember using both cassettes as well as our first family computer -- a 286 DOS machine with a VGA monitor. I remember physical card catalogs and the first library computer catalogs. The first time I used a broadband connection was when I went to college -- I remember my Dad spent an entire night downloading a photo over the dial-up connection.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Szdfan wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:26 am I'm an "elder millennial," which means I fall somewhere in between the millennials and Gen X. We were the transition generation between analog and digital. I remember using both cassettes as well as our first family computer -- a 286 DOS machine with a VGA monitor. I remember physical card catalogs and the first library computer catalogs. The first time I used a broadband connection was when I went to college -- I remember my Dad spent an entire night downloading a photo over the dial-up connection.
As a little girl we went to the encyclopedia for information, not the internet. We used a dictionary if we questioned the spelling of words.

And along came the computer and we thought it was great, even if it was slow and hard to understand at times. The worst was the dial up noises. Kind of grated on your ears.

0 x
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Grace wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:44 am As a little girl we went to the encyclopedia for information, not the internet. We used a dictionary if we questioned the spelling of words.
My family didn't own encyclopedias, but my grandparents did. I remember reading the encyclopedia for fun.

I want to eventually purchase a full set of the Oxford English Dictionary, which is a 20-volume set that contains the etymology of 650,000 words. It's also $1200 new.
And along came the computer and we thought it was great, even if it was slow and hard to understand at times. The worst was the dial up noises. Kind of grated on your ears.

The sound of my childhood.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

My first computer, 3gig hard drive, 256ram, Windows 95. beats me what the processor was. I loved that computer and I learned quite a lot by breaking it.
I’ve had my own computer since I was 11-12. To say I grew up on the computer was an understatement. I was on a homeschooling forum when I was 9 still not able to read yet and breaking my dad’s security by the time I was 13 (to keep me safe) to get to game patches and online gaming. Back when chat rooms were popular. The golden age of the computer if you ask me. Now it’s the age of phones.
I can still remember my mom and us standing in line on Black Friday to buy a new wireless phone and receiver.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Soloist wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:02 pm Back when chat rooms were popular. The golden age of the computer if you ask me. Now it’s the age of phones.
I miss late 90s/ early 2000s internet. Everything felt new and exciting. Things online hadn't gotten toxic yet. I remember building relationships with people around the world. I think social media has ruined a lot of that.
0 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

I grew up with card catalogues, encyclopedias and all research was done via 'real' books. My kids had encyclopedias too, internet didn't come to our house til late 90s and by then oldest was in college and other 2 almost there or there. And even then internet was used sparingly.

First computer was a kaypro and absolutely no internet, email etc. Basically a very sophisticated word processor and a few other things.

Our first email was Juno without internet- just dial up and email no online.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Grace wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:44 am
Szdfan wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:26 am I'm an "elder millennial," which means I fall somewhere in between the millennials and Gen X. We were the transition generation between analog and digital. I remember using both cassettes as well as our first family computer -- a 286 DOS machine with a VGA monitor. I remember physical card catalogs and the first library computer catalogs. The first time I used a broadband connection was when I went to college -- I remember my Dad spent an entire night downloading a photo over the dial-up connection.
As a little girl we went to the encyclopedia for information, not the internet. We used a dictionary if we questioned the spelling of words.

That was negotiating 56K at the end. That was high speed.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

Szdfan wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:54 pm
Soloist wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:02 pm Back when chat rooms were popular. The golden age of the computer if you ask me. Now it’s the age of phones.
I miss late 90s/ early 2000s internet. Everything felt new and exciting. Things online hadn't gotten toxic yet. I remember building relationships with people around the world. I think social media has ruined a lot of that.
Edward Snowden’s book talked about the early online days in similar terms. I am roughly the same age as him, but didn’t get to experience it quite the same because I grew up Amish.
0 x
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Sliceitup wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 3:57 pm
Szdfan wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:54 pm
Edward Snowden’s book talked about the early online days in similar terms. I am roughly the same age as him, but didn’t get to experience it quite the same because I grew up Amish.
I imagine that might make a difference. LOL
0 x