Babel Revisited?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Re: Babel Revisited?

Post by HondurasKeiser »

This is a really interesting conversation and the topic is one that I've had in the back of my mind for a few years now. To my mind and interpretation, the underlying geist of 'Babel' and it's builders is the desire to overcome material limitations and the use of technology to become like God. To be sure, hubris and pride is of a piece with that desire. So much of our modern enslavement to and quasi-worship of technological progress seems to flow out of that same 'Babel-ian' desire to overcome our human and material limitations and be gods in our own right. The progenitors of AI often say as much.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Re: Babel Revisited?

Post by silentreader »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:28 am This is a really interesting conversation and the topic is one that I've had in the back of my mind for a few years now. To my mind and interpretation, the underlying geist of 'Babel' and it's builders is the desire to overcome material limitations and the use of technology to become like God. To be sure, hubris and pride is of a piece with that desire. So much of our modern enslavement to and quasi-worship of technological progress seems to flow out of that same 'Babel-ian' desire to overcome our human and material limitations and be gods in our own right. The progenitors of AI often say as much.
Along with that is the question of what variety of persons existed before the flood, and who were the "sons of god" who cohabitated with "the daughters of men" and produced mighty offspring. Did those memories drive the planners of Babel? I don't know.
SZD had brought up hubris and what we refer to as mythology. What if mythology had its roots in the time before the flood?
What about the mythology surrounding Atlantis? What if it existed somewhere before the flood and when "the fountains of the great deep broke forth" at the beginning of the flood ... Atlantis fell? That memory would still have existed at Babel.

Fantasy? Quite possible.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown