Old Hippie?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Old Hippie?

Post by MaxPC »

Last week I went to town wearing some of my older clothing and a banged up pair of slip ons, all of it clean. We had to stop and get something to eat and while in line, a young man said to me: "Are you one of those "old hippies"?

Puzzled, I replied: "I beg your pardon"? I suppose my accent answered his question in some manner and he did not continue the conversation.

What is this "old hippie" designation? Is this something that is making the rounds of youth culture?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Old Hippie?

Post by Grace »

MaxPC wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:18 am Last week I went to town wearing some of my older clothing and a banged up pair of slip ons, all of it clean. We had to stop and get something to eat and while in line, a young man said to me: "Are you one of those "old hippies"?

Puzzled, I replied: "I beg your pardon"? I suppose my accent answered his question in some manner and he did not continue the conversation.

What is this "old hippie" designation? Is this something that is making the rounds of youth culture?
The "old hippie" designation has been around for many years. In 1985 a song was released that pretty much describes what an "old hippie" is.

1 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Grace wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:23 am
MaxPC wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:18 am Last week I went to town wearing some of my older clothing and a banged up pair of slip ons, all of it clean. We had to stop and get something to eat and while in line, a young man said to me: "Are you one of those "old hippies"?

The "old hippie" designation has been around for many years. In 1985 a song was released that pretty much describes what an "old hippie" is.
Thank you. I looked up the lyrics and they do not match my persona. I daresay the young man was merely being droll.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

MaxPC wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:44 am

Thank you. I looked up the lyrics and they do not match my persona. I daresay the young man was merely being droll.
LOL....the lyrics say old hippies have gardens. Something tells me they aren't growing vegetables in that garden
1 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Grace wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:35 am
LOL....the lyrics say old hippies have gardens. Something tells me they aren't growing vegetables in that garden
Just various useful herbs 8-)
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:02 pm
Just various useful herbs 8-)
Do you suppose that he thought I grew those "useful herbs" and was hoping to purchase some? I hope not. :shock:
Tarragon, basil, garlic, oregano, various mints and sage are the only herbs I grow.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

MaxPC wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:18 am
If I were a man that traveled as extensively as you did... I'd fake some accents just to mess with people 8-)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

MaxPC wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:44 am

The hippies I knew grew all sorts of vegetables (not just "Mary Jane"), and chose to live a simple life style. (Like one who lived in a tree house.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:03 pm
MaxPC wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:18 am
If I were a man that traveled as extensively as you did... I'd fake some accents just to mess with people 8-)
We get a great deal of “I love your accents”. I am no good at mimicking accents not even those from other areas in the UK and the UK has quite a few regional accents.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)