Let's talk grits!

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Let's talk grits!

Post by Neto »

Grew up in Oklahoma, but we weren't very assimilated.... Our non-ethnic food was pretty much just Mexican. (My parents had lived in South Texas for a few years before I was born, and my mom's brother was a missionary in Mexico.)
Grits? Didn't like them until much later. Now I like them pretty much plain, just butter & salt. (I remember some Yankee up in Minnesota asking me if we ate grits at home when I was a kid. I said. "No, my parents loved their children." Jut funny now, since I like them. But okra? No way. I tired to make a deal with my parents, that I would plant it, I'd hoe around them, I'd even pick them. Just don't make me eat it. Didn't work. All of that sort of stuff came later, when I was in at least Jr High. I think the first thing we 'assimilated' was growing peanuts. Oh, and by the time I was in HS, pizza.

EDIT: Oh, hominy. Do Yankees eat hominy?
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:36 pm
Grace wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:02 pm Grits.....ewewew !!!
Bet you'll eat scrapple, though! 8-)
Never cared for scrapple.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Neto wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:09 pm EDIT: Oh, hominy. Do Yankees eat hominy?
I have on rare occasions eaten grits, and also hominy, and seem to have survived both. I'm sure there are attractive and tasty ways to prepare them, but having not experienced those, I don't go out of my way to seek out either of them.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Grits? Boring empty calories. Sure, it can be made palatable with butter, cheese, and spices, but why bother?
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

JimFoxvog wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:23 am Grits? Boring empty calories. Sure, it can be made palatable with butter, cheese, and spices, but why bother?
That, my friend, is the nitty gritty of the matter. :up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Neto wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:09 pm I think the first thing we 'assimilated' was growing peanuts. Oh, and by the time I was in HS, pizza.
I would love to hear more about growing pizza. :D
1 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

Oh, hominy. Do Yankees eat hominy?
The yankees in my area of NJ didn't eat hominy. Never heard of it till years later when I lived in VA.
Have eaten some- depends on how it is fixed- sometimes I enjoy it other times not so much.
0 x
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

Let's not talk about grits!
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Szdfan wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:31 am
Neto wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:09 pm I think the first thing we 'assimilated' was growing peanuts. Oh, and by the time I was in HS, pizza.
It's a family secret.
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Neto wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:17 pm
Szdfan wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:31 am
It's a family secret.
In 1957, the BBC showed a segment on harvesting spaghetti trees in Switzerland as an April Fool's joke. At that point, the British public was just getting familiar with Italian cuisine and the BBC received inquiries about spaghetti trees.

0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford