jm's experiment.

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: jm's experiment.

Post by ohio jones »

justme wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:01 pm are you willing to start wed morning, May 3, 7 am to 7 am on the 10th?
Let's assume that is Eastern Time.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ken wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:22 pm I do object to the notion that it is just a select group that affects the tone here. Honestly some of the most aggressively vile and partisan posts I have seen here have been by other regular posters, not us four.
"Aggressively vile and partisan" is far from the entire problem, though it does contribute.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:40 pm
justme wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:01 pm are you willing to start wed morning, May 3, 7 am to 7 am on the 10th?
EDT? :lol:
is read-only ok?
is signing-in ok?

i don’t plan to do the latter. too easy to tap something. :mrgreen:
Ken:
.. not us four. ..
could there be a funnier “us?” :lol:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

You can be sneaky and read when you aren’t signed in. Nobody will ever know, other than a tiny invisible pixel.
0 x
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

Ken wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:22 pm
justme wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:01 pm So as most of you regulars are aware, over in jm's random thots, we've been discussing an experiment.

Josh, Bootstrap, and temporal1 have agreed to join in this experiment.
justme wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:18 pm here was my original proposal

here's the deal. this experiment is more than just not responding to one certain person's posts. this experiment is more than just a passive aggressive, or the silent treatment towards one person. and i also think that it will be very hard to not be able to respond to a posting that was done in response to one of yours. i'm trying to remove that one piece of hardship for this experiment.

here's the next proposal. if Bootstrap, Josh, Temporal are willing to move on without Ken, then i will accept that. it's not what i was wanting, but i'll accept it.
are you willing to start wed morning, May 3, 7 am to 7 am on the 10th?
If you guys want a hiatus from me from May 3 to 10 I'll go along and check out too.

I do object to the notion that it is just a select group that affects the tone here. Honestly some of the most aggressively vile and partisan posts I have seen here have been by other regular posters, not us four.
I don’t think this is about vile or partisan posts. Personally it feels like the chosen four tend to take over all conversations. (although I don’t notice Boot doing it, maybe he’s just in threads I don’t read) And it would maybe be ok if 90% of conversations were because of 4 contributors if those conversations were being furthered in some way, rather than just refighting the same things over and over and over. But I don’t see that happening. Rather it goes like this: Josh makes and acerbic remark, then Ken comes in with three paragraphs of ‘well, ackshulky…’ and then Temp has some disjointed sentence fragments that say something, but are also vague enough that she can’t be pinned down on the true meaning. It gets old and nothing makes me back out of a thread quicker than seeing that dynamic.
4 x
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

ohio jones wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:40 pm
absolutely!
after all, i am in Eastern Time, so that is what i am accustomed to.
1 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
justme

Post by justme »

temporal1 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:38 pm is read-only ok?
is signing-in ok?
of course.
1 x
justme

Post by justme »

Pelerin wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:19 pmI don’t really feel comfortable with the idea of everyone ganging up to ignore one certain person, though it would probably be good to ignore all posts of a certain type. Not that I expect my contribution will affect much either way as I already don’t react to 99% of Ken’s posts—or 99% of the other posts on the forum.
Pelerin, i do agree with you. that's one reason that i wanted several people in the experiment, so as not to single out one person.
Ken wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:22 pm If you guys want a hiatus from me from May 3 to 10 I'll go along and check out too.

I do object to the notion that it is just a select group that affects the tone here. Honestly some of the most aggressively vile and partisan posts I have seen here have been by other regular posters, not us four.
Ken, i hear your concern. And do agree with you to an extent.
Sliceitup wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:53 pm I don’t think this is about vile or partisan posts. Personally it feels like the chosen four tend to take over all conversations. (although I don’t notice Boot doing it, maybe he’s just in threads I don’t read) And it would maybe be ok if 90% of conversations were because of 4 contributors if those conversations were being furthered in some way, rather than just refighting the same things over and over and over. But I don’t see that happening. Rather it goes like this: Josh makes and acerbic remark, then Ken comes in with three paragraphs of ‘well, ackshulky…’ and then Temp has some disjointed sentence fragments that say something, but are also vague enough that she can’t be pinned down on the true meaning. It gets old and nothing makes me back out of a thread quicker than seeing that dynamic.
Sliceitup, i don't know who you are, but over the course of talking about this experiment you've rephrased some of my thots into better wording than i have done.
1 x
justme

Post by justme »

This experiment is almost over, 7 am tomorrow morning.

we've still had bunny trails, i had to grin when i saw that.
it took about 4 days for politics to show back up again
we've had some different posters.

i asked DanZ if he would give us a summary of what he observed. He's good at that sort of thing. altho he never did answer if he was going or not. if he doesn't, then i will be doing that.

i would like if a few people would post their impressions. I don't want a whole lot of discussion about how you feel about someone else's posting, i just want you to post your own impression of how the experiment affected you. I would also like if Bootstrap, Josh, Ken, and Temporal1 would post their thoughts on the experiment.

So think about that for the next day or so, until i unlock the thread.
1 x
justme

Post by justme »

Thank you to all 4 of you, Bootstrap, Josh, Ken, and Temporal1. You have been very good sports about this. At least you haven't left me know if you aren't :). i really do appreciate you all for that.

I haven't seen any evidence of cheating. And no one has squealed on anyone. Obviously, i don't know if there were any private messages sent during the week, and at this time, i'm quite willing to say that all 4 have earned your $70.00 each. I know that at least some of you have said you don't want the money. I will be messaging each of you, and you can tell me what your preferences are. Whether you want it, or whether you want me to donate it to a cause of your choice. I'm good with either option.

One of my fears was that the posts would drop dramatically. That no one would post. But, as the experiment showed, we had a lot of posting going on. The content of the posts were different. For the most part, there was very little political posting. And when the politics did show up, it was towards the end of the experiment.

We did have folks "step up to the plate" in posting. Someone made the comment about being free-er to post, but not wanting to be dominating. I think that there will always be those who dominate the flow of conversation. When one leaves, another one will come along to take that place. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. I did notice that steve didn't post as many new threads/polls. i'm wondering if he didn't feel the need to distract from politics?

Most of the comments that i have heard, have been in favor of the results of the experiment. Most people have enjoyed the break from politics and current events.

So, first, i'd like to hear from those most affected by the experiment. Josh, Bootstrap, Ken, Temporal1. What are your thots?
And after that, then, i'm open to everyone else. I would ask that you not respond to each other's posts. Just tell us your thots. Even if it is the same as another poster, tell us in your words, try not to respond yay or nay to a previous posting.

i want to thank you all, again, for your participation.
-jm
1 x