jm's experiment.

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: jm's experiment.

Post by temporal1 »

jm:
Thank you to all 4 of you, Bootstrap, Josh, Ken, and Temporal1. You have been very good sports about this. At least you haven't left me know if you aren't :). i really do appreciate you all for that.
Thank you.
It was harder for me than i imagined, but violating the spirit was a non-issue. It gave me some extra time to focus on some personal difficulties i must face, but have no means to rush. In some ways, one week was not long enough.
jm:
I haven't seen any evidence of cheating. And no one has squealed on anyone.
Obviously, i don't know if there were any private messages sent during the week, and at this time, i'm quite willing to say that all 4 have earned your $70.00 each. I know that at least some of you have said you don't want the money. I will be messaging each of you, and you can tell me what your preferences are. Whether you want it, or whether you want me to donate it to a cause of your choice. I'm good with either option.
no surprise there was no cheating. i would have been surprised if there was. i didn’t log on at all. i didn’t want to accidentally make a mistake.
jm:
One of my fears was that the posts would drop dramatically. That no one would post. But, as the experiment showed, we had a lot of posting going on. The content of the posts were different. For the most part, there was very little political posting. And when the politics did show up, it was towards the end of the experiment.
(to me) it was pretty typical, except steve was quieter.
typically, there are varieties of members, i look for them and value them! they are the main interest i have on forum.

i counted 25 posting, all recent+familiar posters, new member Praxis posted.

(maybe it’s because of the large noisy family i grew up in?) i can more easily “deflect” volume? i’m not sure.
We did have folks "step up to the plate" in posting. Someone made the comment about being free-er to post, but not wanting to be dominating.

I think that there will always be those who dominate the flow of conversation.
When one leaves, another one will come along to take that place. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. I did notice that steve didn't post as many new threads/polls. i'm wondering if he didn't feel the need to distract from politics?
i was surprised to see an immediate dominate voice, and, an immediate controversy, even tho it wasn’t Politics. i didn’t expect that, not without a pause in those two dynamics.

No newly registered members that week.

i’m sure there were MANY fewer hearts! :lol:
jm:
Most of the comments that i have heard, have been in favor of the results of the experiment. Most people have enjoyed the break from politics and current events.
Possibly, if the “Foe” option were labeled “Ignore” it would be used more often. (my impression is) most think foe is too strong.
i imagine the word “foe” was originally used in a comical way between young friends, but the forum population has changed.

Also, i think when Robert did his 40 Day Sabbatical, i suggested making a subforum for Politics, i never got any feedback.
Your experiment made me think of it again. There may be an obvious reason not to try it, i don’t know.
It would allow Politics, but not “feature” it everyday, just because of post count. Every member could choose to read and/or post. (underlined to help Robert’s vision.)

i submit the idea again. maybe as a one week or one month experiment?? experiments are good.
to me, a reasonable compromise with those who suggest banning Politics. a suggestion that has repeated over years, on MD+MN.
i empathize with the idea.
jm:
So, first, i'd like to hear from those most affected by the experiment. Josh, Bootstrap, Ken, Temporal1. What are your thots?
And after that, then, i'm open to everyone else. I would ask that you not respond to each other's posts. Just tell us your thots. Even if it is the same as another poster, tell us in your words, try not to respond yay or nay to a previous posting.
i have a sort of ambitious response in mind, but, not sure i’ll manage it, so, this will serve in case i don’t get to it.
i want to thank you all, again, for your participation.
-jm
It reminded of MD days when there were various challenges that would come up. Most were comical.
i’d enjoy it if you’d think of some more. That sort of thing might distract from annoying topics! :lol:

Request: :blah:
i’d like to read thoughts from Robert and mods: appleman, Country Boy, DanZ, justme, ohio jones (The Team).
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

I find it interesting to note which thread the participants chose to break their fast:

Josh: The Anabaptist perception on pedigree and wealth?
temporal1: The Anabaptist Perspective on... Shoes!
Bootstrap: Bill Barr on Trump
Ken: Christian nationalism: the state of the debate

... as well as which thread and forum they've been most active in since returning:

Josh (7/28): Homicide Rates - Worldwide, (14/28): Current Events
temporal1 (5/23): Homicide Rates - Worldwide, (10/23): Current Events
Bootstrap (4/11): Christian nationalism: the state of the debate, (6/11): General Theology
Ken (5/11): Homicide Rates - Worldwide, (10/11): Current Events

Where your treasure is, there will your posts be also. :)
3 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

ohio jones wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:29 pm Where your treasure is, there will your posts be also.
What you focus on, you get more of.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

I wasn't paying attention. There was money involved? How did I miss out? :mrgreen:
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

mike wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:01 pm I wasn't paying attention. There was money involved? How did I miss out? :mrgreen:
You have to be more active to get money :mrgreen:
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

mike wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:01 pm I wasn't paying attention. There was money involved? How did I miss out? :mrgreen:
Should I have her send you mine?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Bootstrap wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:07 pm
Should I have her send you mine?
:clap: :rofl:
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I hadn't been following this topic, so I didn't really notice when the project started, but I noticed when it ended.

I think that the best things that might improve relationships here are
1.) Stop and think how I would feel if someone said to me what I'm getting ready to punch the Submit button on.
2.) Respond with a retort or a statement only after being sure I understand the other person's comments, and
3.) Be sure not to misrepresent what the other person has stated (for instance, by omitting an essential part of their statement in the part quoted, or by not acknowledging the context in which their statement was made, thus casting their comment in a different light, or creating a different, unfavorable, context).
2 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

I missed the posts of several people who present well-reasoned and researched posts. I was happy to see less personal criticism.
0 x