Audio/Visual platforms in your lifetime?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

What audio/visual platforms have you used in your lifetime?

Vinyl records
12%
8-track
6%
Cassettes
12%
8mm/16mm film
4%
compact cassettes
8%
VHS
10%
CD's
12%
DVD's
12%
SD/memory cards
12%
Floppy disks (all sizes)
12%

Total votes: 139

MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Audio/Visual platforms in your lifetime?

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:05 am
MaxPC wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:59 pm Time to kip down. You will have to settle for a couple of rashers and porridge instead of the Full Monty. I am told that they are upwards of 25 quid now.
You're gonna have to translate that into American English. I have no clue what is happening here. 8-)
:D
  • kip down = go to bed
  • have a kip = take a nap
  • rashers = bacon strips
  • porridge = oatmeal
  • Full Monty = Full English brekkie (breakfast). Cost: 25 quid.
  • 25 quid = 25 £ (GBP) = $31.09 American (USD at today's exchange rate)
:hi5
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Saw a news item that 16mm film recently hit it's 100th year birthday on April 18. It was first released in 1923 by Kodak.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

MaxPC wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:17 am In my youth, phonographs were hand-cranked. :lol:
I have one of those, one that was given to my Dad when he was around 16 years old, from his great uncle. (It also has a radio in it, with a dial for station selection that goes from 1 to 10, not the radio dials common now.)
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Used an MD recorder in our language work. Also a Zip Drive, but that was for data storage.

A friend back home, his parents had a cylinder music player. There was also a wire recorder, before tapes. My grandpa had a record recorder, but I never saw it when it was still working. They also had a player piano, and I recently saw a whole box of the paper rolls for one of those in one of the area second-hand stores.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.