No votes
9 - I am not at all interested in becoming a Christ follower
20%

Total votes: 5

Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

MennoNet Posts Impact Survey

Post by Sudsy »

This is a survey for all MennoNet posters on how they would rate this forum's impact on any reader seeking to becoming a Christ follower.

Considering thread interests; how posters interact with one another; the beliefs shared here. Those kind of areas being considered.

Comments are fine if you care to make any.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: MennoNet Posts Impact Survey

Post by Soloist »

I think that outside of heretics, Franklin is the only one who could answer this.

Ultimately I would feel that this forum presents a very distorted view of conservative Mennonites and the best use for people is the church finder thread. Real relationships are where Jesus is
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Soloist wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:02 pm I think that outside of heretics, Franklin is the only one who could answer this.

Ultimately I would feel that this forum presents a very distorted view of conservative Mennonites and the best use for people is the church finder thread. Real relationships are where Jesus is
But this forum is not meant to reflect conservative Mennonitism. Rather it is to primarily but not totally to reflect the views of Anabaptists, right ?

It would be good to hear from Franklin and how he would give the survey a number but I would think that to some degree we all would have an opinion on how well Christ following is presented here. We read in 2 Cor 3 how we are epistles being read by all men, so our Christ following is to some degree being reflected by our participation here, right ?
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Sudsy wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:29 pm
Soloist wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:02 pm I think that outside of heretics, Franklin is the only one who could answer this.

But this forum is not meant to reflect conservative Mennonitism. Rather it is to primarily but not totally to reflect the views of Anabaptists, right ?

It would be good to hear from Franklin and how he would give the survey a number but I would think that to some degree we all would have an opinion on how well Christ following is presented here. We read in 2 Cor 3 how we are epistles being read by all men, so our Christ following is to some degree being reflected by our participation here, right ?
I don’t see very many posts on here to have redeeming value which is your likely true point.
The issue is I don’t see yours as any different then anyone else here. You post in the “non-political” political threads as much as anyone and you present a very conversion focused Christianity to the point where you are swimming with the fish rather then fishing. Sure, you might attract more numbers but at the end of the day, y’all are still in the water.
2 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Franklin
Affiliation: Old Testament

Post by Franklin »

Sudsy wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:29 pm It would be good to hear from Franklin and how he would give the survey a number but I would think that to some degree we all would have an opinion on how well Christ following is presented here. We read in 2 Cor 3 how we are epistles being read by all men, so our Christ following is to some degree being reflected by our participation here, right ?
I am old and stubborn, so I am not typical and would vote 9. But when I deal with the world, and I feel that I hate all of humanity, I can come to this forum for relief and see that not all of humanity should be hated. I think this in itself is a good value of this forum.
4 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Franklin wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:59 pm
Sudsy wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:29 pm It would be good to hear from Franklin and how he would give the survey a number but I would think that to some degree we all would have an opinion on how well Christ following is presented here. We read in 2 Cor 3 how we are epistles being read by all men, so our Christ following is to some degree being reflected by our participation here, right ?
I am old and stubborn, so I am not typical and would vote 9. But when I deal with the world, and I feel that I hate all of humanity, I can come to this forum for relief and see that not all of humanity should be hated. I think this in itself is a good value of this forum.
That is good to hear Franklin and I appreciate how you are not afraid to share where you are on your spiritual journey. I think most of us here will admit that our representation of Jesus is an on-going learning and humbling experience and that in various ways we wander as Jesus put it comparing us to sheep. Sometimes in this wandering we get ourselves into some troubles that may at times look as though we are not really sheep of Jesus sheep fold. But in my experience and many I know who truly are His sheep sooner or later we get back to following the Shepherd.

Although at times we get into contentions with each other and are not very good representations of Jesus, other times you will see that although there are both Anabaptist and non-Anabaptists here, we do have the same Saviour and believe He will some day come and straighten out the mess we humans have made in this world.

Keep tuning in here and posting where you are in your thoughts and experience.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

If it was the year 1995 when I was a young seeker, and I stumbled across this website (internet really wasn't a thing then), I would be really misled. I just did some math... we have 25 topics on the "most active" page. A strong five topics may have something to do with Mennonites and/or Anabaptism. The remainder are current events, politics or anything but. Not saying this is totally a bad thing, but... just sayin'.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:42 am If it was the year 1995 when I was a young seeker, and I stumbled across this website (internet really wasn't a thing then), I would be really misled. I just did some math... we have 25 topics on the "most active" page. A strong five topics may have something to do with Mennonites and/or Anabaptism. The remainder are current events, politics or anything but. Not saying this is totally a bad thing, but... just sayin'.
When one of the most prolific posters is not Anabaptists and likes to endlessly talk about politics, that’s what happens to the forum.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:38 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:42 am If it was the year 1995 when I was a young seeker, and I stumbled across this website (internet really wasn't a thing then), I would be really misled. I just did some math... we have 25 topics on the "most active" page. A strong five topics may have something to do with Mennonites and/or Anabaptism. The remainder are current events, politics or anything but. Not saying this is totally a bad thing, but... just sayin'.
When one of the most prolific posters is not Anabaptists and likes to endlessly talk about politics, that’s what happens to the forum.
Don't you consider yourself Anabaptist anymore? I thought you did?
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

It is not surprising that Current Events is a very busy section. Over the years, so many faith threads have been discussed and for long time members, we kind of know how each will approach those things. Current events, and some politics, is how we interact within the world we occupy. It is a daily struggle and challenge to weave through the tests and temptations of this world.

I, myself, feel I have little to add to threads of faith and lifestyle. It has been said and I feel no need to repeat. I know who I agree with and who I disagree with.

I am not a really strong political person, but I love watching it as I study humanity and culture. This means I do discuss it and current events since they are something I can see a new perspective on.

The challenge is when some post absolutes and think they have all the answers. They are presented as simple solutions and I have learned through the years that human are anything but simple.

It is natural and normal that we have people from various political and cultural positions. Dare I say healthy? It is HOW we discuss that is more the issue that what we discuss. We get tribal and fall back on affiliated faith when someone disagrees and sees things differently.

It also shows certain personality traits when some posters have to prove everyone else wrong instead of just posting their perspective and allowing someone else to post theirs. We revert to name calling and labeling. Whenever we do that, we are no longer putting others before ourselves. Then when one side does it, the other side retaliates with name calling. Then we fall into the grind of culture we are called to be out of.

What if every time we disagreed with each other we stated, I disagree with you but I love you anyway." Now that would start changing the tone. I will work at that myself.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.