No votes
Other
18%

Total votes: 11

Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Distractions

Post by Sudsy »

Distraction for this thread is the main distraction you are currently experiencing that takes more of your thoughts than your 'following Jesus' or put another way 'being led by the Holy Spirit'.

I believe all of us are distracted by things going on in this world that keeps us from giving our primary attention to what Jesus said to focus on.

What best descibes the area you most struggle with and would you be willing to share what step(s) you are taking to lessen this distraction and perhaps get rid of it completely.

I included a category of 'Other' to cover those I have not listed as many of those listed are ones that I personally have experienced at different times in my life.

Feel free to ask for more explanation on those listed.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Distractions

Post by steve-in-kville »

Physical fitness is actually a time of meditation for me. Besides that, I voted that my career is the biggest distraction, and perhaps it should be as it is my livelihood. I have done better managing the stress levels, though.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:10 am Physical fitness is actually a time of meditation for me. Besides that, I voted that my career is the biggest distraction, and perhaps it should be as it is my livelihood. I have done better managing the stress levels, though.
The way I view my career, when it was my primary distraction, was when my mind continued to be absorbed with my career most of my leisure hours beyond the hours I worked to make a living. This had become my primary focus in life to 'move up the corporate ladder' so to speak. After reaching a level of management that I determined was the highest I could go, my biggest distraction was the runner-up, at that time, reaching my highest performance level in golf.

All of those I listed, for a certain portion of my life, was the biggest distraction. After thinking more about it, and admitting to it :oops: , I am changing mine to TV as I find I am distracted most by all the worldly interests available through YouTube.

What am I doing to change this ? Not much but I am quite certain it does nothing positive for me spiritually.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

I suppose this survey involves confessing and for some this may be very uncomfortable to retrospect as to what distracts one from a focus on discipleship. Perhaps for those, ask God to point out a major distraction to you. For others, we know what this is and just don't want to give it up or give it a lesser place in our lives. Thoughts ?
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I got thinking about this subject a bit more. I often think of business owners and farmers who have a good chunk of their life invested in their occupations. I have seen business owners and farmers able to keep things well balanced and prospered both financially and spiritually. I have also seen the opposite where their spiritual life became a blur... to the point they insisted the church arrange special service schedules around their business hours (i.e. No special Saturday afternoon services because they can't close their business early)

I have also witnessed the same family duck & dive standards on internet use, have all manner of loopholes and work around's, all in the name of customer service. This is a perfect example of distraction in the least, if not misplaced priorities.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!