How "picky" of an eater are you?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

How "picky" of an eater are you?

1- I'll try anything once. Twice if I'm paid.
31%
2-
25%
3-
6%
4-
6%
5- I have boundaries.
31%
6-
No votes
7-
No votes
8-
No votes
9-
No votes
10- I do a full-on crime lab investigation of anything that goes in my mouth.
No votes

Total votes: 16

steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: How "picky" of an eater are you?

Post by steve-in-kville »

MaxPC wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:00 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:51 pm
mike wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:37 pm

It must be the texture. They don't even like them in a casserole with melted brown sugar over them. You would think it would be right up their alley, but no. That and stuffed bell peppers are a couple of dishes that basically bring down the wrath of the mob when my wife makes them.
Let me ponder this a bit. Some years ago, we were "blessed" with an abundance of zucchini. I had to get creative and managed to sneak zucchini into meals that normally wouldn't involve zucchini.

It must be the "stringiness" of a sweet potatoes that bothers them.
My wife suggests to puree the sweet potatoes, add pumpkin pie spice and butter and tell them they are getting crustless pie.

Re the bell peppers, I must confess that they cause my old tum problems in the way of bloat and methane: do not light a match.
Good idea. Cool down, refrigerate and serve with cool-ship on top. They'll never know (hopefully) 8-)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:07 pm Good idea. Cool down, refrigerate and serve with cool-ship on top.
That's not just a good idea, it's a titanic idea.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
steve-in-kville

ohio jones wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:47 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:07 pm Good idea. Cool down, refrigerate and serve with cool-ship on top.
That's not just a good idea, it's a titanic idea.
What is with my typing lately? I meant cool whip. Won't sink that way.
1 x

Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Sweet Potatoes. I hated them as a child. And MY Mom put MARSHMELLOWS on top....
Stuffed Peppers? Hated them, too. Strangely, I started liking them while at the 2nd Bible college, which, over all, had pretty poor food. (Deep fried peanut butter sandwiches, anyone?) The thing that put me off with the stuffed peppers is the mixture of hamburger, tomatoes, and rice, all cooked together. I tolerate it now, but am still not fond of it. (Fresh tomatoes? no problem mixed with both of those other ingredients.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:51 pm Some years ago, we were "blessed" with an abundance of zucchini. I had to get creative and managed to sneak zucchini into meals that normally wouldn't involve zucchini.
How about zucchini in chocolate cake? (Had that. It keeps the cake moist, but the green things are a little off-putting.)

There's a joke about zucchini. After a bumper crop, a woman put a box of them on her front porch, for people to take for free. A friend came over, and as she was leaving, picked one up. The hostess said "Take more." So she picked up a couple more. "Take as many as you want", she said encouragingly. Her friend put all of them back....
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
steve-in-kville

I ate my first fresh avocado this past weekend. Never had avocado much beyond guacamole. Tasted a bit bland. I was told to sprinkle it with crushed red pepper. I have one more that is getting ripe, so we shall give it a try.
0 x

mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:24 am I ate my first fresh avocado this past weekend. Never had avocado much beyond guacamole. Tasted a bit bland. I was told to sprinkle it with crushed red pepper. I have one more that is getting ripe, so we shall give it a try.
Just a little bit of salt is all you need. I could eat fresh avocados like candy. I was introduced to them by a friend when I was visiting in California maybe 25 years ago.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
steve-in-kville

mike wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:59 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:24 am I ate my first fresh avocado this past weekend. Never had avocado much beyond guacamole. Tasted a bit bland. I was told to sprinkle it with crushed red pepper. I have one more that is getting ripe, so we shall give it a try.
Just a little bit of salt is all you need. I could eat fresh avocados like candy. I was introduced to them by a friend when I was visiting in California maybe 25 years ago.
It is interesting what one person can eat "like candy" and another finds unpalatable. I enjoy dried figs as well various dried dates. My coworker thinks dates look like dried goat testicles (his words, not mine) and my reply always is...you would know this how?
0 x

Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Well, we got a free pizza in Indiana and we slapped it in the fridge. The next evening, I drove back to Texas, took the cold pizza slapped it in the passenger seat and ate it all the way home. Finished the last piece at 10am as I hit the Texas border.

I have eaten roasted ants in Columbia. I do want to try snake. Next rattlesnake roundup, I want a bite. Alligator is good too.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
steve-in-kville

Robert wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:03 am Well, we got a free pizza in Indiana and we slapped it in the fridge. The next evening, I drove back to Texas, took the cold pizza slapped it in the passenger seat and ate it all the way home. Finished the last piece at 10am as I hit the Texas border.

I have eaten roasted ants in Columbia. I do want to try snake. Next rattlesnake roundup, I want a bite. Alligator is good too.
Cold leftover pizza is a learned taste. in a pinch, I could eat a slice that way. Otherwise no. That said, if I reheat pizza, it would have to be done in the oven. Microwaved pizza is horrible, so I guess I would default to eating it cold 8-)
0 x