How "picky" of an eater are you?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

1- I'll try anything once. Twice if I'm paid.
31%
2-
25%
3-
6%
4-
6%
5- I have boundaries.
31%
6-
No votes
7-
No votes
8-
No votes
9-
No votes
10- I do a full-on crime lab investigation of anything that goes in my mouth.
No votes

Total votes: 16

steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Vote and discuss. Self explanatory.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Re: How "picky" of an eater are you?

Post by Signtist »

OK. Not goldfish. I never swallowed a live goldfish. That's my nephew. But I am pretty much open to anything once.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

As I have aged I am much less adventurous in trying new foods. When younger, I was more willing to try different cuisines from different cultures. Now I will only try those things that appear familiar from my own experiences. I will try scrapple in the future if given a chance.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville

About once a month I make a pot of Brunswick Stew to basically use up random meats and veggies. It may contain chicken, pork, beef and have even graced it with chicken gizzards I had squirreled away. If I dare call it Brunswick Stew, the picky ones won't try. I solved this problem by making a batch of buttermilk biscuits (the kind from the store). No stew, no biscuits.

Another dish I enjoy is an Indian/Pakistani dish called chicken Biryani. Again, I dare not use the term Biryani. We just call it chicken & rice, even though its got some Indian spice influence.

We've had to use this tactic with various other meals over the years.
0 x

mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:03 pm About once a month I make a pot of Brunswick Stew to basically use up random meats and veggies. It may contain chicken, pork, beef and have even graced it with chicken gizzards I had squirreled away. If I dare call it Brunswick Stew, the picky ones won't try. I solved this problem by making a batch of buttermilk biscuits (the kind from the store). No stew, no biscuits.

Another dish I enjoy is an Indian/Pakistani dish called chicken Biryani. Again, I dare not use the term Biryani. We just call it chicken & rice, even though its got some Indian spice influence.

We've had to use this tactic with various other meals over the years.
Is there anything you could call "sweet potatoes" to trick children into eating them
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
steve-in-kville

mike wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:07 pm

Is there anything you could call "sweet potatoes" to trick children into eating them
A few weeks ago, on a Saturday afternoon, I was deep-frying something... can't remember what. I had a few sweet potatoes. I cut them up like fries and deep-fried them. Gave a handful to my wife and she loved 'em enough that everyone else wanted some, too. Possibly try that?

Is it the texture they don't like? Or the taste?
0 x

mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:16 pm

A few weeks ago, on a Saturday afternoon, I was deep-frying something... can't remember what. I had a few sweet potatoes. I cut them up like fries and deep-fried them. Gave a handful to my wife and she loved 'em enough that everyone else wanted some, too. Possibly try that?

It must be the texture. They don't even like them in a casserole with melted brown sugar over them. You would think it would be right up their alley, but no. That and stuffed bell peppers are a couple of dishes that basically bring down the wrath of the mob when my wife makes them.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
steve-in-kville

mike wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:37 pm

It must be the texture. They don't even like them in a casserole with melted brown sugar over them. You would think it would be right up their alley, but no. That and stuffed bell peppers are a couple of dishes that basically bring down the wrath of the mob when my wife makes them.
Let me ponder this a bit. Some years ago, we were "blessed" with an abundance of zucchini. I had to get creative and managed to sneak zucchini into meals that normally wouldn't involve zucchini.

It must be the "stringiness" of a sweet potatoes that bothers them.
0 x

Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

I have preferences but will eat most anything that is not trying to crawl off my plate.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:51 pm
mike wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:37 pm

Let me ponder this a bit. Some years ago, we were "blessed" with an abundance of zucchini. I had to get creative and managed to sneak zucchini into meals that normally wouldn't involve zucchini.

It must be the "stringiness" of a sweet potatoes that bothers them.
My wife suggests to puree the sweet potatoes, add pumpkin pie spice and butter and tell them they are getting crustless pie.

Re the bell peppers, I must confess that they cause my old tum problems in the way of bloat and methane: do not light a match.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God