Post by silentreader »

running shoes
1 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: What do you call these?

Post by Valerie »

Where i grew up in southern California that style WAY back then was called "basketball shoes" & girl's would have never worn them.
1 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Ken wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:16 pm My daughters who actually wear those call them "Chucks"

Those exact shoes are Chuck Taylor "All Stars" made by Converse. Which, by the way is now a subsidiary of Nike.

I would call them "sneakers" but then I'm old.
That;s what came to my mind 8-)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

We called these "macs" or "slickers" in my day. What do you call them in the USA or Australia?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

A raincoat unless you are sailing in which case they are "foul weather gear"
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

MaxPC wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:24 pm We called these "macs" or "slickers" in my day. What do you call them in the USA or Australia?
Forgot to mention one more name for it: cagoul.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:55 pm It seems that, like the Brits, Americans have a number of different names for them as well. Those that we had in my youth were not made by Converse but the design is quite similar.

I daresay that regional differences account for the variety of names. I seem to recall that in the UK, the military boots were made in a similar styling but with different materials. The soldiers nicknamed them street slappers.

Josh, what were these called in Australia?
Cons

Edit: generic sneakers are called "trainers". Converses specifically were called "Cons" or at least they were in 1989 which is the last point at which I was paying attention to such things. In the present era as things are more Americanised it's common to hear them called tennis shoes, running shoes, or sneakers.
1 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

When I was in school, Van's were the go to. Basicially they were a skateboard shoe, but many others wore them. Now there are a dozen brands of such shoes.

Jordan Air Pumps were another highly sought after shoe. I remember there being numerous imitations of that shoe.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Josh wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:14 pm Cons

Edit: generic sneakers are called "trainers". Converses specifically were called "Cons" or at least they were in 1989 which is the last point at which I was paying attention to such things. In the present era as things are more Americanised it's common to hear them called tennis shoes, running shoes, or sneakers.
steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:57 am When I was in school, Van's were the go to. Basicially they were a skateboard shoe, but many others wore them. Now there are a dozen brands of such shoes.

Jordan Air Pumps were another highly sought after shoe. I remember there being numerous imitations of that shoe.
Ah, the power of brand name marketing. Most likely these canvas shoes all came from the same factories and the various companies had them put their logos on them for sale. I am told that is common practice.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)