Bible Translations

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Bible Translations

Post by MaxPC »

I seem to recall this was discussed in the distant past but Sudsy's excellent survey on Bible use and the KJV has my interest piqued on everyone's favorite translation.

I know my preferences in translations have changed and evolved through the years; what say you? Which translations are most helpful to you now?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Bible Translations

Post by Sudsy »

MaxPC wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:49 am I seem to recall this was discussed in the distant past but Sudsy's excellent survey on Bible use and the KJV has my interest piqued on everyone's favorite translation.

I know my preferences in translations have changed and evolved through the years; what say you? Which translations are most helpful to you now?
The HS translation (Holy Spirit). :)

I don't really have a preference but I find myself looking more at the Amplified Bible to see if I understand a verse in the same way it amplifies it. I use 'Bible Hub' often comparing various expressions of a verse and the commentaries also. My main study Bible is an ESV translation.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

KJV is my preference but if something is confusing I’ll look at the Latin.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

In most ways, I like the RSV best (it's what I grew up with and have memorized the most), but don't care for the archaic language they retained from the KJV when referring to God. Unfortunately, while fixing that, the NRSV went along with the idea that using masculine pronouns or the word "man" inclusively was not inclusive. I like the NKJV and the NIV is pretty good. I also appreciate the Jerusalem Bible's use of the names of God and the different wording that keeps me alert rather than just recognizing a passage and then quitting paying attention, as my mind is sometimes wont to do.
1 x