3%
I continue to memorize scriptures
3%

Total votes: 89

QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Re: Bible Use Survey

Post by QuietlyListening »

do you use the KJV for your memorizing ?
I use different translations. Only ones I've memorized in KJV are Psalm 23 and 100 as I learned them as a child in that version and relearning another version was too much. My mind kept going back to KJV

I like to look at different versions and memorize the one that has the best flow of words for memorizing. Memorizing at my age- 68- is hard enough so if I can have a verse flow better makes it easier. I stick with NASV, RSV, NIV and sometimes NLT.
0 x
Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Post by Swiss Bro »

I read a chapter per day with my wife and then we analyse each verse, references to other passages, sometimes look stuff up in books, maps or the internet. Since December 2019, we have gone through the Bible once together and through the NT twice, and recently we have started going through it chronologically. Depending on the chapter this can take up to 1,5 hours. I also listen to my favorite Bible teacher almost daily, at least if he uploads new stuff. He mostly does verse by verse interpretations as well.

I rarely take the Bible to church but look stuff up online if need be. I have one Bible that is thoroughly marked and I recently started a new one with larger margins trying to copy my notes from the old one but in a conciser way.
1 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

I often listen to the Bible on the YouVersion app, or else I read books sequentially, sometimes I listen and read at the same time. I try to avoid looking at individual verses in isolation. Often, things I read a long time ago come to me when I need them. I'm often surprised by what turns out to be relevant when I need guidance.

I basically don't read verses. I read sections and paragraphs at least. I can't get enough context without that.

I find it helpful to repeat a book several times, I also look at book overviews that teach me things that I might not see by myself. For simple, accessible overviews, I like The Bible Project, which is also good at telling the big picture story of the Bible. If I look at one commentary, I look at several, and I prefer commentaries that care more about what is said and how it is said than things like textual criticism.

If I am using a translation, I like to use several and compare them.

Lately, I have found it interesting to Google sermons on passages I am reading. I often disagree with some things said in sermons, but it's still interesting to see what is being said about a passage.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

ohio jones wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:40 pm
Sudsy wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:31 pm I think many might have changed the habit of carrying their Bible to church as many churches have scripture text put up on a screen throughout the sermon. I wonder how many of those who still carry their Bibles do not use screen or walls to view scriptures.

I wonder though if some no longer carry their own Bibles to church when texts are put on a screen because it can be viewed as putting on a holier-than-thou attitude as in many churches Bible carriers are few and far between.
Even if a verse or two is projected, I often look up the passage for context, or consult related scriptures that come to mind. The visual display is a supplement, not a replacement. Besides, the Bible is needed for Sunday school.

"Carrying a Bible to church" can be accomplished by taking a phone along, not only with a printed copy. I generally have both, but try not to use the phone lest people think I'm looking at the other kind of text.
Yes, the context thing. I see a verse used on the screen and sometimes I'm puzzled by how it is being used as my understanding of that verse in it's context is sometimes different. I run into this kind of thing fairly often by some TV preachers in their making a point. Some of us probably do this here on the forum. Some verses taken stand alone ('I take the Bible as it reads') can end up being a complete contradiction to other verses if taken the same way. Other times I discover my understanding is the problem and needs change.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

QuietlyListening wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:45 pm
do you use the KJV for your memorizing ?
I use different translations. Only ones I've memorized in KJV are Psalm 23 and 100 as I learned them as a child in that version and relearning another version was too much. My mind kept going back to KJV

I like to look at different versions and memorize the one that has the best flow of words for memorizing. Memorizing at my age- 68- is hard enough so if I can have a verse flow better makes it easier. I stick with NASV, RSV, NIV and sometimes NLT.
Being older, I get the age issue memory thing. To start with - 'now where did I last set down my Bible ?'.

As a youngster I was perplexed when Psalm 23 began 'The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want'. :? Why would I not want Him to be my Shepherd ?
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Bootstrap wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:15 pm I often listen to the Bible on the YouVersion app, or else I read books sequentially, sometimes I listen and read at the same time. I try to avoid looking at individual verses in isolation. Often, things I read a long time ago come to me when I need them. I'm often surprised by what turns out to be relevant when I need guidance.

I basically don't read verses. I read sections and paragraphs at least. I can't get enough context without that.

I find it helpful to repeat a book several times, I also look at book overviews that teach me things that I might not see by myself. For simple, accessible overviews, I like The Bible Project, which is also good at telling the big picture story of the Bible. If I look at one commentary, I look at several, and I prefer commentaries that care more about what is said and how it is said than things like textual criticism.

If I am using a translation, I like to use several and compare them.

Lately, I have found it interesting to Google sermons on passages I am reading. I often disagree with some things said in sermons, but it's still interesting to see what is being said about a passage.
What I underlined. And yet we shouldn't be surprised although I am too - John 14:26
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Swiss Bro wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:30 pm I read a chapter per day with my wife and then we analyse each verse, references to other passages, sometimes look stuff up in books, maps or the internet. Since December 2019, we have gone through the Bible once together and through the NT twice, and recently we have started going through it chronologically. Depending on the chapter this can take up to 1,5 hours. I also listen to my favorite Bible teacher almost daily, at least if he uploads new stuff. He mostly does verse by verse interpretations as well.

I rarely take the Bible to church but look stuff up online if need be. I have one Bible that is thoroughly marked and I recently started a new one with larger margins trying to copy my notes from the old one but in a conciser way.
Haven't got there yet but larger print might be not too far away. :)
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

For those who have indicated they use a 'through the Bible in a year plan' , what plan do you use ?
0 x
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

Sudsy wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:16 pm For those who have indicated they use a 'through the Bible in a year plan' , what plan do you use ?
Usually I use the one put out by Bible Memory Association many years ago, because it is consecutive--doesn't skip around, and has readings from the Old and New Testaments each day. But I've used others, including one that was "built in" to the Bible.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.