3%
I continue to memorize scriptures
3%

Total votes: 89

Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Bible Use Survey

Post by Sudsy »

This is a survey to find out how we use our bibles. If you have questions on any item listed feel free to ask. Thoughts and comments welcomed too on bible use.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Bible Use Survey

Post by Josh »

I read the passage in our Sunday school books; there are a few verses for each day, and then I try to think about that.

If I am thinking about a particular topic or passage I may go and read up on that. Sometimes when I need comfort I like to read the Psalms.
2 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

So far one thing especially jumps out at me in the survey. 7 people carry their Bible to church yet only 2 read a minimum of one chapter a day.

I think many might have changed the habit of carrying their Bible to church as many churches have scripture text put up on a screen throughout the sermon. I wonder how many of those who still carry their Bibles do not use screen or walls to view scriptures.

I wonder though if some no longer carry their own Bibles to church when texts are put on a screen because it can be viewed as putting on a holier-than-thou attitude as in many churches Bible carriers are few and far between.

Then there are those that may carry a very tattered Bible, that they have used for many years, as it gives the appearance of being quite spiritual. Well, God knows our hearts and if we have some Phariseeism in us.

I remember when most carried their Bible to church in my church background. Then Bibles were put in the pew back holders probably for convenience sake, I'm not sure. And today in many churches, pew back holders are no longer needed as both hymns and scripture is put on a screen or wall.

In some places where hymn books and Bibles were placed at arms reach they now have soft drink or coffee and snack holders. When I was young even gum chewing during a meeting would get one in trouble.

Although I don't like using these terms (conservative and liberal), my guess is the more 'conservative' a church is, the less it uses modern ways of doing church (i.e. no screen use for hymns and scripture). Is this true ? I have not been in a 'conservative' type church since I was a youngster.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

A challenge for me is not reading the Bible intellectually. I try to only read a few verses and then dwell on what God is trying to speak to me personally, instead of applying brainpower to come to what I think the text says.

At one point I read a Bible verse that said “and they met at Bethany”. So I started going to a church called Bethany Rosedale Network of Churches Church after reading that.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I USUALLY read at least one chapter a day, but I've also "camped out" on a passage for days on end, sometimes it's just one verse or so.
I have read through the entire Bible more times than I can remember, partly because if I have a certain Bible question, that's how I try to find the answer. (Not in a rush - afraid to miss an important Scripture if I try to do a topical study using a concordance.)
Some people might no longer carry their Bible to church services because they have it on their cellular telephone. (I make a point to leave my cell at home.) My Bible IS is pretty poor shape, but it doesn't really show it because my wife made a Bible cover for me out of leather (from a woman's skirt I bought for that purpose in a used clothing store). I've been using this same Bible since 1987. (Except for tribal visits, and furloughs. It's a Study Bible, so too heavy to carry back & forth, especially to the village, where every pound counts. I had an old one that I left there all of the time, and also had one here in the States.)
Hymnal racks: Our leadership decided to tear out the pews, and put in chairs. There are hymn racks under some of the chairs, and they used to be evenly spaced in each row, but no any more. The hymnals are still there, but are basically never used, just off the wall music (up on the screen). But the hymnal racks were never big enough for a study Bible.
I haven't done well with keeping up on memorization.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

I have read every chapter in the Bible but not consecutively. My husband and I read the same chapter each day- and slowly are going thru the Bible.

I have been memorizing scripture for many years now and as I learn a passage or psalm I go on to another then go thru them all over a period of days otherwise I would never remember them.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:44 pm A challenge for me is not reading the Bible intellectually. I try to only read a few verses and then dwell on what God is trying to speak to me personally, instead of applying brainpower to come to what I think the text says.

At one point I read a Bible verse that said “and they met at Bethany”. So I started going to a church called Bethany Rosedale Network of Churches Church after reading that.
Good thing you didn't read 'if your eye offend you, pluck it out'. :)
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Neto wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:51 pm I USUALLY read at least one chapter a day, but I've also "camped out" on a passage for days on end, sometimes it's just one verse or so.
I have read through the entire Bible more times than I can remember, partly because if I have a certain Bible question, that's how I try to find the answer. (Not in a rush - afraid to miss an important Scripture if I try to do a topical study using a concordance.)
Some people might no longer carry their Bible to church services because they have it on their cellular telephone. (I make a point to leave my cell at home.) My Bible IS is pretty poor shape, but it doesn't really show it because my wife made a Bible cover for me out of leather (from a woman's skirt I bought for that purpose in a used clothing store). I've been using this same Bible since 1987. (Except for tribal visits, and furloughs. It's a Study Bible, so too heavy to carry back & forth, especially to the village, where every pound counts. I had an old one that I left there all of the time, and also had one here in the States.)
Hymnal racks: Our leadership decided to tear out the pews, and put in chairs. There are hymn racks under some of the chairs, and they used to be evenly spaced in each row, but no any more. The hymnals are still there, but are basically never used, just off the wall music (up on the screen). But the hymnal racks were never big enough for a study Bible.
I haven't done well with keeping up on memorization.
I remember one of the first study bibles I bought called a 'Thompson Chain-Reference Bible' and I carried that with me as I had marked up and wrote notes in it. It was pretty bulky and when I was active in street ministry I got me a KJV pocket NT that I could carry in my inside suit pocket. I also got me a 'Ready References for your Pocket Testament' that I glued inside the front that unfolds to give answers to various questions and has other helps on other topics.

I was involved in a scripture memorization of various texts years ago when we mainly used the KJV version. The Holy Spirit brings these to mind often. But when the Bible versions came out with modern modern language I never really kept up memorizing in any of these new versions. I often now look at how the Amplified Bible describes scriptures to see if this is any different than my understandings from the KJV and other versions. My big study Bible now is the ESV version.

I'm not sure what version I would use today for memory in modern day language. Perhaps someone has a recommendation.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

QuietlyListening wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:55 pm I have read every chapter in the Bible but not consecutively. My husband and I read the same chapter each day- and slowly are going thru the Bible.

I have been memorizing scripture for many years now and as I learn a passage or psalm I go on to another then go thru them all over a period of days otherwise I would never remember them.
That is encouraging to read. I had a neighbour lady who was a Christian and she had memorized most of the Psalms and would go about her housework quoting them.

Question - do you use the KJV for your memorizing ?
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Sudsy wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:31 pm I think many might have changed the habit of carrying their Bible to church as many churches have scripture text put up on a screen throughout the sermon. I wonder how many of those who still carry their Bibles do not use screen or walls to view scriptures.

I wonder though if some no longer carry their own Bibles to church when texts are put on a screen because it can be viewed as putting on a holier-than-thou attitude as in many churches Bible carriers are few and far between.
Even if a verse or two is projected, I often look up the passage for context, or consult related scriptures that come to mind. The visual display is a supplement, not a replacement. Besides, the Bible is needed for Sunday school.

"Carrying a Bible to church" can be accomplished by taking a phone along, not only with a printed copy. I generally have both, but try not to use the phone lest people think I'm looking at the other kind of text.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited