Seekers Gathering 2018 long thread

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

Seekers Gathering April 27-29, 2018 ???

Total votes: 0

cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Re: Seekers Gathering 2018?

Post by cmbl »

Ernie wrote:Now accepting suggestions for speakers and topics.
I'd be interested in the testimonies of converts who have been members of the same church/conference for a few years (say 3+), with a special emphasis on the challenges and rewards of moving from, "Wow these people are really welcoming" to becoming a church member and finding stability.

I think you've mentioned something to the effect that converts from no Christian background have one set of struggles whereas converts from a Christian background have a different (possibly overlapping) set of struggles. It would be good to have one or more speakers from each of those two types of background to reflect that.
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Glad to see that this event will be happening, Ernie. I expect it'll be great!
Too bad my schooling will keep me from any chance of attending (that seems to be a trend lately...)
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Well, I have a proposal for a talk I would like to give: “What plain Anabaptism is not.”

I would also like to have a workshop / panel for those of us who were formerly in liberal / progressive Anabaptist backgrounds, if I’m not the only one. There are a few of you on this forum - consider attending or contributing to such a panel.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Registration is now open for this event. Please see details at the link below.

http://www.plainnews.org/wp-content/upl ... g-2018.pdf
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh

Post by Josh »

1. Plain MN members who practice or support traditional Anabaptist practices such as: churches establishing lifestyle guidelines for its members, head-covering for women, non-resistance, long pants for men, long dresses for ladies, abstaining from jewelry, not divorcing and remarrying, non-involvement with professional sports, non-participation in politics, etc.
This would seem to exclude seekers who are currently in a BMA setting, some Midwest, or some Charity settings. Is this the intended goal?

(Basically, is the “such as” a minimum list or merely possibly examples?)
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote:
1. Plain MN members who practice or support traditional Anabaptist practices such as: churches establishing lifestyle guidelines for its members, head-covering for women, non-resistance, long pants for men, long dresses for ladies, abstaining from jewelry, not divorcing and remarrying, non-involvement with professional sports, non-participation in politics, etc.
This would seem to exclude seekers who are currently in a BMA setting, some Midwest, or some Charity settings. Is this the intended goal?

(Basically, is the “such as” a minimum list or merely possibly examples?)
Practice OR support are the key words here. If neither of these apply, they can request an invitation.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

If only if only... the events were in the west... sigh... Nobody likes the left.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Soloist wrote:If only if only... the events were in the west... sigh... Nobody likes the left.
Reading the registration link it does look like it would be a great event... Hope it is a good turn out of people.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote:The seekers gathering is not a MennoMeet. It is a place for non-one-true-church plain people to gather to encourage each other and provide some perspective for those who are considering whether to be part of non-one-true-church plain churches. I'm not interested in starting yet another event that is either embarrassing to the name of Christ or confusing to seekers. (Of course I am determining what is embarrassing or confusing in this case due to my understanding of the New Testament.)
Perhaps it would be helpful to break down which affiliations are welcome and which aren't. Based on my understanding so far, the affiliations I have been a part of (fundamental-cons. wing of Midwest, fundamental-cons. wing of independent Beachys, the non-plain wing of the CMC, and Holdeman) are all not the kind of affiliations you are interested in promoting at your Seekers' Gathering.

I do not have any quarrel with that at all - but what would make sense, is to learn what kind of affiliations you would be comfortable having promoted at such an event.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote:The seekers gathering is not a MennoMeet. It is a place for non-one-true-church plain people to gather to encourage each other and provide some perspective for those who are considering whether to be part of non-one-true-church plain churches. I'm not interested in starting yet another event that is either embarrassing to the name of Christ or confusing to seekers. (Of course I am determining what is embarrassing or confusing in this case due to my understanding of the New Testament.)
Perhaps it would be helpful to break down which affiliations are welcome and which aren't. Based on my understanding so far, the affiliations I have been a part of (fundamental-cons. wing of Midwest, fundamental-cons. wing of independent Beachys, the non-plain wing of the CMC, and Holdeman) are all not the kind of affiliations you are interested in promoting at your Seekers' Gathering.

I do not have any quarrel with that at all - but what would make sense, is to learn what kind of affiliations you would be comfortable having promoted at such an event.
0 x