When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

Seekers Gathering April 27-29, 2018 ???

Total votes: 0

MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Seekers Gathering 2018?

Post by MaxPC »

Wayne in Maine wrote:
MaxPC wrote:If I were a non - Christian Someone seeking and searching, I would want a clear, well-written statement of faith given in the very first two lectures. It would provide me a doctrinal frame of reference for the rest of the talks. The repeat session would be for those who have to arrive late and can't attend lectures until the next day. There are always those who arrive later: like me. :lol:
When I studied Technical Writing, the most important thing I learned is: "Who is your audience?" and second to that: "Why are they reading this?" What I would say to a Bowdoin College Agnostic student about who Jesus was and what He said is quite different from what I would say to a Patriarchal Fundamentalist Baptist homeschooler who likes the lifestyle of the Amish.

Once Ernie clearly defines who, precisely, the conference is for and we sort out why the attendees are attending then "we" can sort out the topics and common thread of such a conference. I suspect in an case it would be hard to represent contemporary Conservative and Primitive Anabaptism in a single confession of faith (do we present the 14 or the 7 points of Schleitheim?)
Wayne, I'm well aware of the principle of "audience"... as an ancient retired professor :D People were giving him suggestions for content. I shared mine. No mandates intended.
Ernie wrote:There is beginning talk of drafting a Schleitheim II that addresses issues we are facing today. It may happen before the 500th anniversary of Schleitheim I.
:)
Sounds intriguing :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
thebluffs
Affiliation:

Post by thebluffs »

joshuabgood wrote:Here are some topics I would like to hear discussed...

I'd like to hear Ernie, Dan, Wayne, or Mike or some other person (maybe Steve Brubaker), give a compelling vision of what conservative Anabaptism can be in the 2018. A sort of Harold Bender for the 2018.

I'd also like to hear somebody speak about the Anabaptist focus on orthopraxis versus orthodoxy?

Or the conservative Anabaptist view of the scriptures...(high, low, in between, inerrant, etc)?

Or something on nonconformity...what does it look like across the various spectrums?

Or the conservative Anabaptist response to gender identity questions...possibly Coblentz?

Or the conservative Anabaptist view of atonement and what is meant by salvation and the Kingdom of God coming?

Not to hijack Ernie's thread, but @joshuabgood, this may be of interest to you: http://elnorabi.org/christianthoughtoncurrentissues.htm
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

thebluffs wrote:
joshuabgood wrote:Here are some topics I would like to hear discussed...

I'd like to hear Ernie, Dan, Wayne, or Mike or some other person (maybe Steve Brubaker), give a compelling vision of what conservative Anabaptism can be in the 2018. A sort of Harold Bender for the 2018.

I'd also like to hear somebody speak about the Anabaptist focus on orthopraxis versus orthodoxy?

Or the conservative Anabaptist view of the scriptures...(high, low, in between, inerrant, etc)?

Or something on nonconformity...what does it look like across the various spectrums?

Or the conservative Anabaptist response to gender identity questions...possibly Coblentz?

Or the conservative Anabaptist view of atonement and what is meant by salvation and the Kingdom of God coming?

Not to hijack Ernie's thread, but @joshuabgood, this may be of interest to you: http://elnorabi.org/christianthoughtoncurrentissues.htm
Registration & orientation for this seminar begin Thursday afternoon. Sessions will run Thursday evening through Saturday noon. The seminar cost is $327 for an individual and $427 for a couple. Room & Board is $100 per Adult and $25 per child (Children 3 & under are free).
Ouch!
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

The BMA conference I am sure I would enjoy - however, I know they are generally heavily influenced by reformed theology which is not quite the conversation I would most be interested in.

Basically I think AIC has some pieces I would like, but as others have mentioned, I am not sure about the "whole food" quackery and their interpretation of "nonconformity" suspenders et al.

I also really like some of what MC USA's events/ideas, Ervin Stutzman, Theron Slabaugh, J Denny Weaver, etc - but that sort of assimilated "social justice" - pink menno leaning - liberalism is too much.

I really appreciate some of the Faith Builders events also - they have so far been possibly the closest to the kind of conversations I would like to hear - though they have to be "very careful" about the ideas they let people discuss so as to not alienate their constituency.

If this event is purely for "seekers" as a means of "explaining to them" the info/practices (head covering, no Divorce and Remarriage, no military service, differing standards of bodily coverage) - then I probably am not the right audience member, as I have this background. If it is at least also conversation for people who would like to envision what a modern anabaptist movement could look like, that was faithful to some of the original ideas, I am more interested.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

joshuabgood wrote:If this event is purely for "seekers" as a means of "explaining to them" the info/practices (head covering, no Divorce and Remarriage, no military service, differing standards of bodily coverage) - then I probably am not the right audience member, as I have this background. If it is at least also conversation for people who would like to envision what a modern anabaptist movement could look like, that was faithful to some of the original ideas, I am more interested.
(1) Perhaps you should organise an event that is what you are looking for. I think a lot of other ethnic Anabaptists will be likewise interested, and it would be great to bring such a renewal to ethnic Anabaptists.

One recommendation I would have is to limit it to people who either regularly attend a congregation or are members of a congregation. There are already lots and lots of events that cater to people with Anabaptist leanings or heritage but who refuse to be part of a congregation, such as KFW.

(2) I was not aware "No Divorce and Remarriage" will be on the menu for this Seekers' Gathering, given that Ernie said earlier that Holdeman points of view will be explained as well. I thought instead we would be explaining how different groups have different ideas of what "No Divorce and Remarriage" means.

Overall, I think the best way to run such an event like this is to indeed explain what an early Anabaptist movement looked like, what a modern Anabaptist movement could look like... then bring us to reality of explaining what the modern Anabaptist movement actually does look like.
0 x
Haystack
Affiliation: Christian

Post by Haystack »

Thank you Ernie for arranging this event. I would like to attend, but I won't know until later in the year.
0 x
YorkandAdams
Affiliation:

Post by YorkandAdams »

You can count me in!

As for content, I agree that it can't be on a PHD level (did anyone invite Cory Anderson yet?), but it can't be dumbed down to the point where the deeper meaning of the text is overlooked on critical issues.

One area of discussion that I would love to have is how we can be a more effective witness for Christ when most people (even fellow Christians) would not feel comfortable stepping into one of our churches. How do we evangelize to those who are open to Christ, but maybe have a completely different lifestyle (Urban, Desk Jobs, exc). Discussing the reality that many seekers have a hard time ever fully "fitting in" even after they are a part of the community. All of these are important because they highlight "real" issues that are effecting us all in our churches today.

On another note, as a "seeker" myself who has only recently been learning the differences in denominations and groups, I almost feel like the gathering needs to have a "Common Ground". Topics like Divorce/Remarriage, Head covering, exc. It hopefully should not be that hard, but will smooth out the rough spots before the event. My biggest fear is that the event will turn into a debate that we all are tired of hearing.

Hopefully this will be a great event! Looking forward to the Details!
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

joshuabgood wrote:The BMA conference I am sure I would enjoy - however, I know they are generally heavily influenced by reformed theology which is not quite the conversation I would most be interested in
They use the 1963 confession of faith, article 4 and it's apparent denial of the imputation of Adam's sin to the whole human race is quite inconsistent with Reformed theology. I teach in an ministery that is in a parachurch setting and some of the people from a real reformed background periodically give me a hard time.

Where does this influence show up?

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Now accepting suggestions for speakers and topics.

Also accepting applications to oversee children's activities, someone to oversee two potluck meals, and someone to record registration information.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Is April 27-29, 2018 the finalized date now?
0 x